Barnabas

"Please ma'am, step ahead" says the security guard. Today, I'm going to visit my sister who lives in France. It's been almost three years since the last time I saw her.

"Thank you. I only have those two bags" I say as I step forward to hand him the bags.

"Okay, that's fine" he smiles.

"You know, I can't see very well without my glasses, but you remind me of a man I knew a long time ago." I approach him more "It's been...forty years I guess. Where does the time go?"

I continue rolling my eyes around him from head to toe.

"Well...I hope my doppelganger treated you well back then." He chuckles.

"Oh yes," I exclaim; then I lower my voice as I notice that everyone is looking at me "but...it was a complicated story." I add sadly.

"It's okay ma'am, we don't need to talk about it." This security man is even as kind as the man of my past, his doppelganger as he said.

"I don't mind son."

"I think we better..." he is about to object but I interrupt ignoring him "I'm gonna tell you the story. I know that I'm a very talkative woman, but what can I do... It's really something out of my control" I giggle. "So...your doppelganger's name was Barnabas, and his name was the first thing that attracted me to him. He had green eyes, just like yours, wavy short black hair, even his fingers were long, exactly like yours. We had known each other since childhood, since the age of ten if my memory hasn't gone. We grew up together playing and learning, then we fell in love. We dreamt about many things, making a big house, raising six children, visiting many places, etc..." I stop narrating for a while, close my eyes as a tear escapes; then I continue finding my audience getting bigger and bigger "but every nice story has downfalls and enemies. Unfortunately, there was Melinda in our lives. She was the only obstructive thing. She never loved me. She was very jealous, and she wanted Barnabas to be hers. One day, I woke up...to find Barnabas dead, burned in his car. Everyone was convinced that it was an accident, but I wasn't. I was sure that Melinda was the reason, because she had already tried to kill me before Barnabas's death but I survived." As I stop speaking, the security guard approaches me with tears in his eyes, so I say "I'm sorry to ruin your day son, but I just needed to tell this story when I saw you." Grief is evident on his white face. I step to continue the procedures for my flight, but he stops me, hugs me warmly and says crying "It's me...I'm Barnabas, your Barnabas. I came back again! How couldn't I know you!"

I find myself speechless.

"I'm him, and not his doppelganger! I never thought that I'll find you again."

"But...what are you saying?" I finally utter the letters "How? Barnabas is dead and...and you're even so young, and I'm an old woman in her late fifties." I add stuttering.

"Melinda has cast a spell over me to make me immortal, who turns into a vampire in nights" everyone screams that time and runs outside, except for me whom my heart's beats are almost heard. He continues "she imprisoned me in a grave, just to separate us. One night, someone wrongly opened the grave so I escaped."

I burst into tears looking at him trembling. I say "And, will you suffer for life and be a vampire forever?"

"You're my savior...you're the only one who could save me. Will you?"

"Yes, of course...you just tell me what to do!"

"Anything?"

"Anything! I even didn't marry. I still love you. You're my only lover"

He approaches more and more and kisses me. Wrinkles start to appear on his face, and some white hairs in his hair.

"Thanks Rita. Thanks for saving me. I'm free of the spell now."

"And thanks for being patient, and for listening to my story" I say and hug him again.