Chapter 9: Beginning to See

I woke abruptly, not remembering for several seconds where I was or what had transpired

I woke abruptly, not remembering for several seconds where I was or what had transpired. My eyes popped open to see a room full of sunshine from a bank of nearly floor-to-ceiling windows. I became aware of someone sitting beside me, and I turned my head.

A man—no, an angel—a very weary-looking angel sat in a chair, leaning forward, elbows on his knees, watching me. His hair looked black like jet, and his eyes shone blue like cornflowers. His waiting had rumpled his clothes, and he hadn't shaved in some time.

"Lucifer," I gasped his name.

"Welcome back, Olivia." His voice cracked, and he swallowed. I wondered how long he'd been sitting there, observing.

"Did—did I almost die?" I asked.

His brow wrinkled. "Yes. It was a very close thing."

"And, you would have had to collect? Do I recall that right?"

"Yes," he answered, careful to say no more.

I watched him. "Would you have collected?"

He closed his eyes and swallowed. "I would have had no choice."

"Why?"

He looked at me again, "Why would I have collected?"

"No. Why would you have had no choice?"

His voice was thin. "Because this is my job, Olivia."

"Who says?"

"By His decree."

"I don't understand." I scowled.

"I made a deal with Him."

"A deal?" My eyes widened. "With God?"

"Yes. I wanted to be free. In return for that freedom, and at the cost of my soul, He placed me in this role. It seemed a good bargain at the time."

"Wait. Did you say soul? As in He made a soul deal with you? He owns your soul?"

"Yes," he said, nodding once.

"So, if you renege on your deal, you go to Heaven?"

He sighed. "Yes."

I blinked, not quite believing what I was hearing. "You... hate Heaven that much?"

"I hate being controlled that much."

"But why this job? Why torturing souls? Why dealing with the sinners?" I craved to know everything.

"Because He no longer wanted to get his hands dirty."

Confusion settled on me. I didn't know what to say.

He stood. "I will go." He raised his hand to create a portal.

"No!" I reached to stop him. "Wait! I want you to stay."

"You do?" he asked, eyebrows raising.

"Yes."