Chapter 14: Find the Courage

Before I'd exited the building, Shawna was texting

~

Shawna: Please don't hate me.

Me: I don't hate you. I'm just in shock.

Shawna: Can we talk? You know I can't text about this.

Me: Not up to talking.

~

I thought she might continue to send messages, but she didn't, which only told me she was distraught. Part of me felt horrid, but most of me felt justified in my actions. If she willingly went to these extremes for a partnership, what else had she done throughout her career?

Seeing someone's real side appeared to be the theme of the day. I thought back over the events of the morning. It wasn't even two o'clock, and I'd seen sides of two people I cared for I would rather not have witnessed.

Another issue to contemplate dealt with my growing feelings for Lucifer. Did I want to continue down that road now? If I kept seeing him, the feelings would only get stronger. Yet, how was I supposed to complete my mission without interacting with him?

Of course, 'interacting' didn't mean I had to invite him into my home or even see him every day. I resolved to limit our contact. I am not dating the Devil.

The car finally came around, and the driver helped me in. I began thinking about something Lucifer had said. I was the perfect person because I'd met all seven of the Virtues at some time or another. Some of them, I'd only met in passing. I had a feeling identifying the next six wasn't going to be so easy.

It meant I needed to expand my circle again. I'd been a hermit since Deirdre died; it was time to go back to work.

I texted Thomas, my right-hand man, at the company.

~

Me: Hey. Coming back tomorrow.

Tom: 👍 Missed you.

Me: Really?💖

Tom: Yeah, teams are uneven.

~

I smiled. Tom meant the beta testing gaming teams, of course. I still got in there and tested, coded, and all the other things I used to love before running the company, but not as much as I wanted. Or, at least I had until Deirdre's cancer had gotten worse.

My plan for the following day set, my thoughts turned back to Shawna and her 'Dirty Cop.' I wondered if what I knew about him was enough to follow him in the scrying glass. It wouldn't hurt to try.

I pulled the pendant out from under my shirt and got comfortable. I sought to find Shawna's boyfriend, and after a minute of heavy concentration, a shadowy image appeared, but it wasn't enough; I didn't have a clear picture of him in my mind. I tucked the mirror away, wondering what to do next.