Chapter 26: That Bitch

"Love? Love

"Love? Love..." Lucifer spoke to me, running the back of his fingers along my cheek.

I cracked my eyes open as best I could. "Yeah?"

"Morning," he said with a mischievous grin.

"What are you smiling about," I said, beginning to stretch. The pain between my legs blossomed and throbbed. I stopped moving immediately. "Damn!" I looked at him with narrowed eyes and a slight smirk, "You knew it would be like this, didn't you?"

He tried to hide his smile but couldn't help but laugh softly, "Yes, love, I did. I can fix the bath for you with Epsom salts if you want."

"Holy crap," I moaned as I sat up. "Yeah, I think you'd better. But why did you want me up?"

"I have to attend to some things. I do not know if I will be back tonight."

"Really?" I said, standing. Standing was better. "So, I'm on my own, huh?"

"Well, you will think about me today, so not completely alone," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I cocked my head at him.

"I would be lying if I said I did not like the idea of being on your mind."

"There are other ways to make me think of you, Lucifer." I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Oh, I know. But most are not nearly as much fun." He kissed me lightly then drew back. "I wish I could stay, but I must go. I will text when I can return."

"Okay. I look forward to it, of course."

He snapped the tub ready, then opened a portal. "Love you," he said as he walked through.

"Love you!" I called from the bathroom.

Doing my business was an adventure in tenderness. I was grateful to sink into the tub and stayed there, relaxing, until the water grew cold enough that I was chilled. Sighing, I contemplated draining and refilling the tub for a longer soak. While the idea sounded enticing, I decided it was time to get the day started. I needed to figure out what the hell was going on with Shawna, Jillian, and Peggy.

I moved with care through the rest of my morning routine and had just settled against the counter with a cup of coffee, complete with real cream and fancy sugar, to begin scrying when my phone rang. It was Shawna.

"Hey! I was just thinking about you," I said. "How are you doing?"

"I—I don't know, Olivia. I just found out Sam is dead!" she exclaimed.

I was as honest as I could manage; the best lie was the one with truth. "I know! I didn't learn until a few days ago Lucas and Sam were partners in the Bistro. Were you aware? We found out about Sam last night when a member of the staff called."

"Yeah, I've known Lucas is—was—Sam's partner. Who refused to testify for us, by the way. I'm not sure if the defense planned to pursue him or not."