12|SWITCH

It was three days before Christopher's big competition

It was three days before Christopher's big competition. If he won, it would give him one of the best opportunities of his career to date. He'd be part of the national team. It would be a gateway to the Olympics, the World Championships.

Courtney couldn't let that happen. She was taking down six teens, not five. Besides, wouldn't it look suspicious if all but one fell?

She saw Christopher's coach walking down the empty corridor with his hand wrapped loosely around a bag. You ought to be more careful.

Courtney was purposely looking down at her phone, acting as if she was in a heated argument and aggressively tapping the screen. She walked straight into the coach and knocked the bag out of his hand as well as her phone.

The bag fell to the ground. Papers, books, pens and pencils landed on the floor until the one thing she was looking for caught her eye. The plastic cylinder rolled her way and she quickly pocketed it whilst also switching it for a seemingly identical object.

"I'm so sorry sir! Let me help," Courtney was quick to apologise and began collecting the fallen objects but intentionally left the plastic item for him to find. A look of relief washed over his face when he realised that none of the contents had spilled. He retrieved it and placed it back in the bag after Courtney had finished returning the objects to their original place.

"You ought to be careful, Miss..." he didn't know who she was. "It's a lucky thing that nothing was lost or broken," he warned.

"Apologies sir. Believe me, I'll be paying more attention," Courtney showed her shattered phone screen.

The coach nodded his farewell and went on his way.

Courtney was left in the corridor alone and she let a single tear escape down her cheek.

+++

The outcome was as expected. Christopher Alderidge stood tall on the highest podium, gold dripping from his neck.

Cheers erupted and claps were heard from the surrounding crowd. His dad was proud, his coach was proud.

Christopher was not proud. He felt guilty. He was a fraud and soon everyone would come to know that.

An official, in a navy suit, strutted out towards the three pedestals. The crowd paused as he stripped Christopher of his glory, his face showed no sympathy. Another official accompanied Christopher into the changing rooms as the crowd were left in an uproar.

Courtney had stayed until he finished his last race. She knew he'd look for her at the end and she was there, like she'd promised. However, Courtney didn't need to be present for this. She couldn't be present for this.

Like everyone else, Courtney was human and humans make mistakes. Christopher didn't take the drugs for himself.

His father and coach knew about the drugs, endorsed it even. In fact, it was his father's idea.

Christopher was an only child. His father was a busy lawyer and his mother was a best selling author who would often lock herself away so she could work. He practically grew up alone.

Mr Alderidge had made it clear that if you're not the best, it's not worth it. The only time his parents ever focused solely on him was whenever swimming was concerned. Christopher took the drugs to please his father. So his father could brag about how his son was the best, how his family was the best.

The official, Coach, his father and Christopher were gathered in the changing room.

"It came to light that your urine showed evidence of enhancements in your system..."

Coach and Mr Alderidge appeared shocked in front of the guest. Mr Alderidge even went as far as expressing his outrage towards Christopher.

Christopher stood there and took it. At first, he was fuming beyond belief. Everything he had worked for, put his body through had been for nothing. It had all come crashing down.

The official revealed that the only way Christopher would be excused, considering he was still a minor, was if he attended rehab. The man in the suit left and the coach made a hasty exit leaving father son in the company of each other.

"Son, don't worry. I'll have you in and out of rehab in no time. I'll have you out before the year ends, there's loopholes in everything. I'll try to keep this quiet-" His father had already come up with a plan.

"Dad. It's gonna get out. They probably know already. This was for the National team for godsake! I'd be lucky to make it on a team for seniors 60+," Christopher shouted.

Part of him was filled with anger but another part of him was filled with relief. Christopher wouldn't have to lie anymore, he'd be able to live a life that's not dependent on drugs, he'd be free to do what he liked once he got out.

But one thing was for certain, his career was over and he could thank Courtney Jackson for that.

He just didn't know it yet.

+++

A/N

Oh my lord, an update! Apologies for it being crap and apologies for taking so long to update. It's 2 a.m and I should be sleeping because I've got a long day of lectures ahead of me.

Has this been read over? Pfft absolutely the fuck not, I've got no time to write never mind to check it. Allow it x

If you didn't know, I started Uni this year, basically why I've not updated. I've had zero time or I've not been sober enough to figure out a keyboard ahaha.