(20) Blackmail is the Weapon of Choice

"Hey, Mel. I was wondering if you felt like coming over today." Taylor's text read.

"Sorry. I am "grounded." Seriously sucks." I respond.

I set my phone in my pocket and head to the game room. I have the house all to myself because everyone went out to eat, and left me here. I started gazing around the game room with my heart being pinched for some odd reasons. I pass the bathroom where Jake had first cleaned my bloody knuckles and messed up legs. Where he told me he loved me. Where he said he waited for me. Where he only told me a load of bull.

I scream at the top of my lungs and pull at my hair. I've been lied to this whole time. My phone rings and I place it to my ear.

"Hello," I chime plopping down on the couch.

"Ms. Paige. What a wonderful thing it is to hear your voice again," says a monotone messed up voice. Like the voice from before I left my home when they called saying they saw Jake and I.

"I would say the same to you, but then I would be lying."

"Now, Ms. Paige, is that anyway to talk to me?"

"Who would me be?"

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You should know I wouldn't give up that easily."

"What do you want from me?"

"It's not from you. It's from you little friend. The one's whose house you are in right now."

"Where do I come in on this?"

"Let's just say, I've been hired to pull out the dirt on Mr. Reed and you are the key part."

"I didn't realize that this business was so strict where blackmail would be the weapon of choice."

The man laughs. "You have no idea what this business is like. But beware, Ms. Paige, Mr. Reed will start to hate you. I mean it would only make sense since all the gossip is coming from you."

"What could I do where it could come from someone else?!"

"I thought you didn't care."

"I just don't want more drama in this house. Since I will be staying here longer."

"Do you have anyone in mind as to who the news could come from?"
I think for a moment.

"No. Not any at the moment. But I do have an idea. How about Sophia Carson. I know she knows about him lying to us. It could easily be her."

"I like your thinking Ms. Paige."

"Could you enlighten me as to what exactly you have on Mr. Ree- I mean Jake."

"Just some examples that he cheated on you."

"Do you work for one of those teen magazines or something?"

"You could easily say that."

"So he would gain the rep as a player?"

"Most definitely."

"Just proves what he deserves."

"Thank you, for you time Ms. Paige."

"You're welcome Mr..."

"Mr. Murphy."

The line goes dead and I drop my phone.

That was Taylor and Oaklyn's dad. Holy crap!

I just had a full on conversation with his dad about my ex.

Then again it could be anyone with the last name 'Murphy.' It's a popular last name.

But who would have access to all of that information. And the way he knew me. Like he had heard it all from someone. Like Taylor...

But he wouldn't. I know that for sure. He wouldn't dare ask me to pull the trigger with Jake in front of it. He knows that I wouldn't want to kill him.

"Melody!!" I hear someone shout from below.

I jog to the stairs still alarmed at the whole conversation thing and see Austin down at the bottom of the stairs holding a bag that looks all firmiliar. I run down the stairs and snatch the Taco Bell bag out of his hands.

"I'm guessing you like Taco Bell?"

"She loves it." Jake and Ally say at the same time which makes Ally glare at him.

"I thought you didn't hate me, Ally," Jake said raising an eyebrow.

"Considering you made my best friend hate me, be lucky you still have the option to reproduce," she replies snappily.

I stifle a laugh and just smile.

"Is Melody smiling?" Aaron ask.

"Yea, I guess I am." I admit taking a large bite out of my quesadilla.

"Who wants to go to the beach?" Jake ask.

I shrug and agree to going simply because I want to get out of the house. We all agree to leave in 15 minutes and I rush to change into my bikini that has a hook holding it together on the middle and no straps on the top and a pair of black swim shorts and throw on my striped strapless cover up.

I look over in the mirror and realize how much skinnier I have become. I mean, I look like I starve myself. But I don't. I sort of eat. Just with everything going on, I'm lucky to remember to simply shower or blink. I look one last time and sigh. I feel like I'm dying and sort of look like it. Though, no one's noticed. Then again, I barely leave my room.

A knock on my door pulls me out of my thoughts and I adjust my half up half down hair and stick my sun glasses in my hair.

The door opens and Jake steps in dressed for the beach...which includes him shirtless.

"You look nice," he says with his hands in his pockets.

"Thanks," I mumble not really looking at him. I gulp and fight the weak tears threaten to spill.

I'm a pathetic little girl that holds onto childish dreams, childish promises, and childish friendships. You think you know someone until they simply hurt you in ways you thought even your enemy wouldn't do.

"Look-"

"Okay, so maybe or maybe not you will now be exploited as the Player figure."

"What?"

"Okay, so I know I should have told you earlier, but there is this guy that is now like a private detective that has managed to see all of this with me and you then you and Sophia. But Sophia is the one that is supposedly saying everything about you cheating. When you guys were gone he called and started talking about everything you had done, and now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even know why I had asked him not to release the stupid papers. I guess because I don't want to see you fall in that way because then I would be buried in the rubble and I would be even more hurt. And I have no clue what I even mean by this and I have no clue why I'm even telling you this."

Jake looks at me like I'm some psycho.

"Thanks?" He says sounding like a question. "Don't sweat it. He probably just works for the tabloids. Did you get his name?"

"Yeah. It was just his last name. It was Murphy. But not Taylor. It was an older man."

"His brother." Jake says with his fist clenching.

"I'm guessing you don't like him."

"Hate him. He tried to get Sophia while he had a girlfriend and she was oblivious of him having another girlfriend."

"Gee. Sounds like someone I know." I say walking past him and out of my room. I casually walk downstairs with Jake slowing trailing behind me.
Ally was attached to Ashton like a leech, which doesn't shock me, Liz was holding hands with James, the Howard brothers each had their girlfriends with them, and the doorbell rang right when I got off the stairs. Jake went passed me and opened the door and there stood the person I never wanted to see again.

"Jakey!!!!" The high pitched voice screams.

This beach trip will not turn out good.