Chapter Eight: Cece Dawson

"They said they just found him rotting in a gutter right outside the airport, scary right? The poor man was just murdered right in the middle of the day for no apparent reason- horrible world we live in right?" I nodded along to Charlies ramblings, not truly registering what she was saying as I sipped from a bottle of water, my fringe sticking to my forehead in a thin layer of sweat that had formed within the first half on my dance lesson. I had no idea what Charlie was saying, since yesterday the only thing that had occupied my mind was him, my soul mate. How could I listen to her when everything was him: his hair, his body, and his eyes, oh his eyes. How so many secrets, passions, dreams could be held within someone's eyes was a mystery to me, how many years had this man lived to have eyes like that?

"Ce?" Charlie said sharply, clicking her fingers infront of my face.

"Huh?"

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Yeah, yeah, ofcourse I was."

"Then what was I talking about?" I sighed biting my lip, wracking my brains for the answer; come on it was just 5 seconds ago.

"I don't know Chaz, I'm tired, I was just focusing on my drink." She huffed, before shoving the newspaper that she was reading from into my hands.

"Look. A man was just found murdered outside Gatwick, scary right? The say his neck was snapped, and that the break was so clean they don't really understand who would have the strength to do it." I shuddered.

"That's horrible."

"I know right, the poor man, it's not fair for people to just snatch away human life like that."

"No I mean the guy who did it, what could have caused him to do that? What pain?"

"What?" Charlie looked at my incredulously, her eyebrows furrowed he mouth slightly agape. "Are you actually feeling sympathy for the murderer in this situation?"

"Well yeah... I suppose." My eyebrows now furrowed to match hers, my teeth softly nibbling at the pink of my bottom lip.

"What's wrong with you? Next thing I know you'll have a Jack the Ripper poster up in your room."

"Don't be stupid-"I let out a small laugh. "They never caught Jack the Ripper how could he be on a poster?" I sent her a wink, signalling that I was joking, and she laughed lightly too, yet her facial expression still betrayed her worry.

"Don't worry about it Chazza, it was just a weird moment, I just... yeah." I laughed trying to hide my own uncertainty. "Now come on Max will lynch us if we're late for the second half of practise."

***

The day past with no other mention of the Gatwick murder, or my strange sympathy for the man who did it, yet I could tell it was still bothering Charlie since as soon as dance was finished she left, without even saying a goodbye. I sighed heavily, I didn't have time to worry about her, I had other more important things to occupy my mind, such as my soul mate.

I wonder if he knew of me too. Maybe that's why he was on that plane? He was coming to find me. I laughed to myself, of course that wasn't true, why would it be? The only reason I knew of him was because I was a witch, and he was most probably human and living life oblivious to any kind of supernatural power that might have a hold on him. I groaned, stupid soul mate, just one look and I was besotted yet he will most probably never see me. It just wasn't fair, and to top it off I couldn't talk to Charlie about this, for not only was it part of the supernatural, she now thought I was some murderer supporting freak. Another groan escaped my lips as I continued to trudge down the busy street; I had to speak to someone about this, it was driving me mad all these thoughts circulating my head, each one of them based around my other half, and it was those words that drove me to Betsys Place, despite it being my day off.

***

I swung through the door of the coffee shop, my head still in turmoil, my bottom lip starting to become bloody from the amount of times I had bitten it.

"Hey Doll." My thoughts were snapped by Diane's happy voice. "What are you doing here? Isn't it your day off?"

"Yeah, I just wanted someplace to go to clear my head, and I thought hey why not go talk to my top girl?" She laughed at the, beckoning me towards her.

"Well then you better take a seat, what's been bothering you doll? And do you want a drink to go with your sorrows?"

"Yes please, a caramel latte would be nice? And I don't really know where to start, it's a pretty long story..."

"Ofcourse darling, and it's a good job I have a long shift and a nearly empty café then, get to talking and I'll get to making."

"Well I guess it all started like a week ago, I dre-" I stopped myself, she would never take me seriously if I spoke to her about a man I met in a dream. "-met this man and well he was perfection." I then went on to tell her everything that I could (which meant anything that didn't include soul mates, or things of the supernatural kind) and as the good friend she was she listened, only bustling off once or twice to serve customers, as I sipped my drink and thought of the next thing I would say.

"Well sweetie I suppose that is a bit of a mess, but don't worry about it, like you're saying that this man is perfect for you, but then all you know of him if what he looks like, and suddenly you're in love, don't get to stung up about it, right now he's just some kind of I suppose sexual fantasy, if you meet him again then perhaps pursue him, but there's no point wasting your time just because of how some man looks."

I sighed nodding, I suppose if this was part of the human world she would be right- I knew nothing of this man's personality and yet I spent each day and night obsessing over him, in the human world she was right, if only her logic applied to the supernatural world as well. Because yes all I really knew of him was his looks but the way my body and my mind reacted to him, that wasn't natural, it wasn't something I could just forget.

"But forgetting all that, I've got some news that will make you wish you were working today." I smiled, looking up at my friend who had her back turned to me as she organised the working space behind her.

"Oh I doubt that, nothing can beat a day of dance."

"Now you say that but, and this might seem a bit hypocritical considering what I just said, the hottest man came in today, and when I say hot I mean hot, like his hair was just perfect and his eyes-"She continued speaking but I couldn't hear her, all I could hear was the beating of my heart as it pumped red hot blood around my body- I was angry. So angry my vision had started to be blurred with red, how dare she speak like that? As she spoke I just got angrier and I found my fantasies starting to wander. I could see myself ripping her tongue out of her mouth so she could no longer talk about him, I could see myself using magic to blind her so she could never see him again, I could see myself-

"Cece? Are you listening to me?" I was suddenly snapped out of my thoughts and my eyes darted upwards to see Diane looking down at me, worry evident in her eyes. "Are you alright?" A sheen layer of sweat started to form across my forehead as I looked up at her, this was my Diane, my sweet Diane who had done nothing but fight for the best life for her and her son and here I was imagining hurting her? The very thought of it made my breathing quicken, panic settling it as the images I found satisfying 20 seconds ago began to terrify me. I wanted to hurt her, poor innocent Diane, and for no reason at all. "Cece seriously?"

"I- I- have to go." I gulped before rushing out of the coffee house, my breathing getting heavier by the second, the sweat the once just rested on my face now covering my entire body. I wanted to hurt her. I was going to hurt her. I could hear my blood pounding in my ears as I stumbled through the heavy London crowd, my thoughts racing, my stomach twisting with nausea.

I had the thoughts of a monster. I was a monster.

Monster. Monster. You wanted to hurt her. Monster.

They were the only things that could register in my mind until suddenly-

"WATCH OUT!"

A screech of tires, a car's panicked horn, and then darkness.