Chapter 10 - Whiney Alphas Aren't Fun

"If you get hungry - oh, well, Aubrey at least - there's food downstairs. I'll be downstairs in the meeting room. Don't be afraid to get me if something is wrong," I rambled as I went around our small room grabbing my shoes to put them on again.

Oh my Goddess, Aaron, shut up. You sound so stupid. But, my brain and mouth were not in agreement. "I'll be back in a few hours, hopefully. These kinds of meetings can take a while. I'll try to be quiet if you're sleeping or something."

I stood up to face my two mates on the bed. Aubrey had a hand over his mouth to cover his smile, while Evander's lips quirked up into a small, amused smile. My ears reddened when I realized how stupid I sounded. "I'll go now. Uh, have fun, I guess," I mumbled awkwardly, turning to open the door.

Arms wrapped around my waist and the smell of flowers and sugary sweetness enveloped me. "Good luck in your meeting," Aubrey mumbled against my back.

"Thank you," I said, too flustered to turn around and face him.

He let go as I opened the door, but I ended up closing it a bit too loudly. With a muttered curse, I quickly made my way to the stairs. A door opening and closing made me turn my head to watch as Wren walked over from his room down the hall. He smiled at me, offering a wave. "Hey. Ready for this meeting?"

"Not really," I admitted with a slight grumble. "Is Joshua coming?"

"He's already there," Wren said. "I was just grabbing some notes I had."

We walked down in comfortable silence, taking a turn once we were on the first floor. It took us down a very short hall with a set of double doors. They were both open and allowed me to see that a lot of people were starting to sit down for the meeting. I sighed, dreading the next few hours.

.

.

.

"For the last time, I cannot confirm any of what I've said about what's going on in Europe. This is just what my Evander's sire said they talked about at an elders' meeting," I said, my voice tight.

As soon as the meeting started, I reported on what Evander had told me his sire told him. And as I expected, everyone was confused and alarmed, but they kept trying to grill me as if I knew anything else. I kept trying to tell them this was just what Evander told me Elvira said.

"We should tell our elders. Or contact packs in Europe," Alpha James suggested.

"But what if this is just hearsay? How are we supposed to know any of this is true?" A beta from one of the packs piped up.

"That doesn't matter. It's best to take these rumors as fact and act accordingly before we are caught off-guard," Alpha Kristen, the alpha from Wren and Joshua's pack, said with a shake of her head.

"I doubt any of this is true," an alpha, Alpha Lorence, suddenly huffed.

I couldn't help but shoot a glare in his direction. He was always the one to question and whine about anything and everything. He was almost always the cause of a fight or a pointless argument, too. "Alpha Lorence, what exactly seems so impossible? Are we not dealing with similar situations from our European counterparts?" I challenged.

He looked at me with a barely-concealed sneer. "Little beta, I know that you are young, so you are not experienced in this kind of stuff. Rumors like these happen all the time. Hell, last week, we received a rumor that a mer kingdom was burned to the ground! It's in the middle of the ocean, how could that be possible? These rumors of dragons leaving their realm are as crazy as a kingdom at the bottom of a sea burning," he scoffed.