Chapter 11 - First Date

Aubrey

"If you get hungry - oh, well, Aubrey at least - there's food downstairs. I'll be downstairs in the meeting room. Don't be afraid to get me if something is wrong," Aaron rambled, flitting around the room; he reminded me of a hummingbird.

I almost wanted to laugh at how he kept tripping over himself and how he had to retie his shoes three times because he kept messing up. It was really cute. I could tell Evander also found our mate to be an adorable sight.

"I'll be back in a few hours, hopefully. These kinds of meetings can take a while. I'll try to be quiet if you're sleeping or something."

I quickly put a hand over my mouth to hide my smile. Aaron got flustered easily from what I'd noticed and I didn't want to upset him. Evander didn't even try to hide the way his lips teased at an amused smile. Even though I tried my best to hide my amusement, Aaron still caught on and his ears burned red.

"I'll go now. Uh, have fun, I guess," he mumbled awkwardly, turning to open the door.

I quickly leaped off the bed to hug him from behind, burying my face into his back and inhaling his natural scent. "Good luck in your meeting," I mumbled against his shirt.

"Thank you," I heard him answer back.

I let go and watched Aaron as he closed the door a bit too loudly. I heard him mutter something outside before leaving. It felt weird seeing him go. We'd been inseparable since they rescued me. But I could handle a few hours without one mate, right? I still had Evander around.

"What do you want to do, Aubrey?" Evander asked me, and I realized I'd been staring longingly at the door in front of me.

"Um, I'm kind of hungry," I offered.

He nodded his head, standing up. "Let's go then. I'll make you something if nothing downstairs is to your taste."

I smiled widely. "I'd really like that."

Walking over to the vampire, I reached out to grab his hand, smiling wider when I felt the surprising warmth of it. We walked downstairs to the kitchen we'd passed on our way through the cabin. The fridge was filled with leftovers from what was cooked earlier, but none of it really appealed to me.

It felt so weird choosing what I ate. The choices seemed almost overwhelming. All my life, I'd been fed what was given to me - whatever it may be - and I couldn't say no unless I wanted to starve for who knew how long. I wasn't allowed to choose anything in my life except for how I was going to behave.

"Is there anything you want?" Evander asked from behind me.

"Um...I'm not really sure," I admitted, closing the refrigerator door.

"Why don't I make you something? Is there anything you'd like?" He continued to question me.

"I like fruit," I offered weakly.

Evander hummed. "I have an idea, but you'll have to trust me."

"I do."

I didn't have to think about that. I trusted him and Aaron with my life. Aaron saved me and Evander saved us both. They were my mates, the people I'd hoped would rescue me only in my dreams. And they did. There was no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't have my best interests at heart.

Evander told me to sit down so I did, watching him from the island counter as he went around the kitchen grabbing random things. He had to keep looking into multiple cabinets because the kitchen was unfamiliar, but eventually, he had a basket packed with things he'd gathered. "What's the basket for?" I asked him with a small frown.