Sparring and Hospitals and Bloodlust, Oh My!

I had planned on skipping class after lunch to see Gai, who had fallen ill over the weekend due to a training session with his father gone wrong. I was headed out of the academy, only for Kakashi to suddenly block my path.

The silvernette looked annoyed, something that only intensified as I tried scooting around him. "Don't try to walk away from me."

I sighed deeply. "Look, Kakashi, I have places to go, things to see. I can't do that with you blocking the way."

"Tou-san wanted me to invite you over to dinner," Kakashi said, sounding as if he was forcing himself to say those words.

"I decline," I replied immediately.

Kakashi's brow furrowed as he looked at me. "Why?"

I put my hands on my hips, giving the shorter boy a look. "Really? After you kicked me? You think I'm ever going to trust you at a dinner table again?"

Kakashi flushed a bit as he was reminded of his childish actions. "Okay, fine. I won't kick you if you don't flirt with Tou-san."

"Which brings up the next point. Why, exactly, would I want to come over after Sakumo-sama made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with me?" I asked.

Kakashi looked at me in confusion.

"He was avoiding me for two weeks," I clarified for the boy.

Kakashi's face scrunched up in sorrow. "That's… He's always like that this time of year…" His black eyes looked away from me as he gently, and awkwardly, rubbed his left arm.

"Oh…" I remained silent for a moment before deciding that I wouldn't let my curiosity get the best of me. "Well, in any case, I still shouldn't come."

Kakashi gave me a look of confusion. "Why? I thought you liked Tou-san."

"I do," I admitted.

"Then, what's the problem?" Kakashi pressed.

I sighed deeply. "It's… complicated."

"How?" He inquired.

"You'll understand one day, just not today," I said as I patted his head before moving past him.

Kakashi began to follow after me like a little duckling. "Explain it to me so I understand."

"Another time, perhaps," I said as I opened the doors to the academy.

Kakashi stopped at the threshold, obviously frowning. "You're skipping again?"

"Yep," I confirmed as I gave a lazy wave over my shoulder.

Kakashi didn't say anything as he watched me leave the academy grounds.

I walked through the streets of Konoha lazily until coming across the Maito residence. I politely knocked on the door, staring up as it almost immediately opened.

Maito Dai looked down at me, smiling brightly. "Hello there, kid! What can I do for you?!"

"May I see Gai?" I asked politely.

Dai hesitated. "As much as I'd like to say yes, I don't want his sickness spreading to his friends."

I pursed my lips in dissatisfaction. "But I'm his best friend. Best friends have to visit each other when one is sick."

Dai cracked upon hearing that I was Gai's best friend. "Oh, alright, but only for a few minutes, okay?"

I nodded as Dai let me into his house and walked me up to Gai's room. I entered it and immediately walked over to Gai's side. "How are you feeling?"