chapter 08

The seven of us looked around at each other, our mouths open, unsure of what to say.

"We're your children," Five broke the silence calmly. "From the future. In 1989, you adopted seven of us and trained us to fight against the end of the world,"

Reginald looked around at us with an expressionless look on his face.

"Called us the Umbrella Academy," Five finished.

"Why on earth would I adopt seven-,"

"Eight," Allison interrupted the man. "One of us isn't here,"

"Dead," Diego corrected. "One of us is dead,"

"Yeah, ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba!" Klaus exclaimed. "Enough of that, now,"

Everyone at the table looked at him a moment.

"Regardless, what would possess me to adopt eight ill-mannered malcontents?" Reginald questioned.

"We all have special abilities," Five answered.

"Special? In what sense?" Reginald asked.

"Superpowers. In the superpower sense," I replied.

Reginald looked towards me.

"Call me old-fashioned, but I'm a stickler for a pesky little thing called evidence," he concluded. "Show me,"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Everybody wants to see powers all of a sudden," Allison scoffed.

"We're not circus animals, okay?" Luther snapped. "We're not gonna bounce balls on our noses and clap our hands like seals for your amusement,"

I nodded in agreement. Diego, however, whipped a knife out of his pocket and threw it straight ahead of him. The knife curved in mid-air, narrowly missing Reginalds head.

The old man glanced at Diego before bending over the table and writing something down on a notepad.

"What are you writing?" Diego questioned, leaning forward.

"You are zero for two, young man," Reginald replied, looking up at Diego.

Diegos face screwed up in anger before he scrambled from his chair and tried to lunge at Reginald. Before he could, however, Five appeared straight in front of him and stopped him from going any farther.

"Stop!" he whisper-yelled.

"Now that is interesting," Reginald observed.

"All right, uh, quick rundown," Five began. "Luther: super strength. Klaus can commune with the dead. Allison can rumour anyone to do anything,"

Five and Diego were both sitting back down in there respective seats and the latter of the two rolled his eyes.

"Except she never uses it," he muttered.

Allison snapped her head towards him.

"I heard a rumour you punched yourself in the face," she smiled sarcastically.