chapter 15

Lilas mouth fell open as her mother fell to the ground. She glanced at Diego for a second before racing past us and towards a briefcase that was laying on the ground.

"The case!" Luther yelled, starting for Lila.

"No!" Diego yelled, jumping in front of Luther and bringing him down.

Lila picked up the briefcase and looked around at us once more before disappearing. Standing right behind where she had just been was the last Swede. He had a gun in his hands, pointing it straight at us.

Five stepped out in front of us and pointed the gun that he had taken from the Handler back at the Swede. They stared each other down for a couple seconds before Five tossed his gun to the ground.

"Enough,"

The man looked around at each and every one of us before muttering something in Swedish and letting his own gun clatter to the ground. He turned away from us and walked out of the barn.

"Oh, shit," I muttered, releasing the breath I didn't realize I was holding.

I moved across the barn and brought Five into a hug, thankful that he was alive.

"Who the hell was that guy?"

I pulled away from Five and looked at Klaus, eyebrows raised.

"VANYA! HELP!"

Vanya's head spun to look towards the stairs.

"Harlan," she mumbled.

Vanya was gone in a split second. She ran across the barn and down the stairs towards the young boy.

I glanced at Five before taking off after Vanya. I rounded the corner in the basement and my eyes widened slightly. There was a circle of energy in the corner containing Harlan and Vanya.

"Jesus," I mumbled.

Vanya was talking to Harlan. Although I couldn't hear what she was saying, I could tell it had an impact on Harlan. He nodded slowly and Vanya clasped her hands over Harlan's.

The two stayed like that for a few seconds before a blast went off, sending Vanya skidding back a couple feet. The circle of energy had disappeared.

Sissy scrambled towards Harlan and brought him into a hug. Vanya looked back at us and smiled thankfully.

whoosh

I glanced at Five before turning and walking to the upper level of the barn and back outside. Standing out on the field was Herb and Dot. They looked a hell of a lot less threatening than The Handler and Lila looked before. We walked out towards them. Herb had a giant smile on his face, like usual.

"Herb. Dot," Five greeted.

"Hey," Herb chuckled, stepping over the bodies.

"Sup, Herbie?" Diego asked, sticking out his hand.

"Hey! My man," Herb chuckled, doing some kind of secret handshake. "Good to see you guys... I can't believe it. Is she...?"