11- Justin (EDITED)

Lesson learned—never hide anything from Aria, especially now that she's become a fighter and not afraid of speaking her mind. The guilt I've felt these last twenty years by keeping Aria from knowing the truth and wanting to protect her heart and mind has increased. And now I'm more than angry with myself for not telling her what I've known.

While walking toward my car, I yelled at myself while throwing punches in the air. I was pissed at not telling her. I was pissed that she found out. And I was pissed that it was the old man who dug up our family and opened his mouth without talking to me first.

Fuck.

I know I shouldn't be angry at Walter. I'm sure he assumed I didn't know and felt he was helping us out by doing the right thing and telling Aria what he found. I didn't just keep quiet to protect Aria, but it was also to protect my mother. She wouldn't be where she is now if she ever knew my father had a child with another woman while they were still married. She'd be six feet under.

I drove around Seattle for hours, thinking. Then, not caring what time it was, I drove to the hospital where my mother was, parked in the parking lot, and then sat in the car—staring at the one place helping to keep her alive.

I looked at the time, then back at the hospital. Visiting hours may have been over hours ago, but I exited my car anyway, hoping they'll still allow me to see the doctor treating my mother.

I walked into the hospital, and when I saw an older woman sitting behind the counter, I acted like she wasn't there and continued walking toward the elevators.

"Ah, sir. Visiting hours are over," she warned, her words echoing against the walls.

"I know," I admitted, still walking toward the elevators. "I'm not here to see my mother; I'm here to speak to her doctor."

I heard the wheels of her chair rolling and knew she was coming to stop me from getting on the elevator. But I was on a mission and continued heading toward them, and when I got to the elevators, I did what never worked—I started hitting the button on the wall multiple times, hoping the doors would open before the nurse got to me.

"Excuse me, sir? Who are you referring to?"

"My mother's name is June. June Nelson," I sighed, turning to face her. "But I'm not here to see her. I'm here to see her doctor. Doctor Fisher."

"Is he expecting you?"

"Sort-of. We've been exchanging phone calls, and he's been asking that I come here to talk to him."

Her brows drew together as she studied my face. Then, with a concerned look on her face, she pointed to my mouth. "Did you know your lip is cut and bleeding?"

"Yes," I said, irritated.

"You also have blood dripping down from your eyebrow."

I already know you don't have to tell me.

Using my thumb, I wiped the blood away from my lip. "Thanks for pointing that out."

She turned, extending her hand toward the counter she came from. "Would you like me to get you a Kleenex or something?"

"That's okay, thanks, anyway," I said as the elevator doors opened. I quickly stepped inside and hit the close button as fast as possible, and when the doors started closing, I said, "Can you let Doctor Fisher know that I'm here? Thanks."

While the elevator moved up to the floor I needed to be on, I leaned against the wall, staring at the big black box across from me, watching the numbers change while we passed each floor. After what happened tonight with Aria, I felt wrong for being here without her, but if I'm bringing Aria here to see our mother, there are some things I need to be sure of first.