3.8) He Gave Up

Hours later, Adelaide and Mike were asleep on the reclining wooden chair. She was sitting on Mike's lap, resting her head on his shoulder, and Mike had his arms around her, his head resting against the chair and next to hers. A yellow blanket covered them from the cold of the night.

"Hey, Miss," Clay Banning shook Adelaide's body gently, he didn't want to frighten her.

Her eyes shot open and looked straight at Mike's father. He put his index finger in her mouth, and she nodded, worry immediately growing inside her. He pointed to his small screens, and she nodded. Adelaide slowly got off Mike, and walked there as silently as she could.

"Mike. Mike," his father turned to him. "Mike. Mike."

Mike jumped in the chair and grabbed his father's arm, but once he saw him, he let go of it and sighed. He looked around, confused.

"How long I been out?" He asked in a low voice.

"Long enough for your friend to find you," his father stated. "Come on."

"Where's Adelaide?" Mike asked as he followed his father.

"I'm here," she said quietly, but loud enough for him to hear her.

She was already looking at the security footage of Mike's father. Multiple men with guns approached slowly to where they were.

"There," his father pointed at the footage.

"Shit," Mike cursed.

"There's at least 15 of them," she added and his father nodded.

"We ain't gonna hold them off with just a pistol and your gun," Mike stated and looked at his wife. "How much do you got?"

"Two pocket knifes, my gun, and one pack of bullets," she sighed. "That's not enough."

"That'll do until we kill one of them and grab his stuff. We gotta get out of here," he stated, and she nodded.

"I ain't going nowhere," Clay looked at them. "No, no, this is my fucking mountain!"

"No, don't go out there," Mike said worriedly as he saw his father started walking away.

"Stay here if you want," he stated, already out the door, and Adelaide and Mike quickly followed him, wondering what he hell was he thinking.

"Shit," Mike muttered.

He opened a door, Mike closed it once he and Adelaide were inside the small room.

"What are you doing?" Mike asked.

"Open that up," his father ordered him as he looked for something.

They looked at he ground, the wooden floor seemed elevated. Mike opened it to reveal some stairs, Adelaide's eyes grew wide in amusement as his father threw some green lights to have a better view.

"What the f–" Mike looked at his father with a frown.

"Did you do this yourself, sir?" Adelaide asked him, and he nodded before walking down the stairs.

"Now, wait a minute," Mike whispered as he walked behind his wife, following his father. "Why did I think coming here was a good idea? I knew you had time to kill, but Jesus!"

"Just keep low and don't bitch," his father whispered firmly.

Then, he opened a wooden door covered in leaves, he got out and laid low in the ground. Adelaide and Mike did the same, she was in the middle of both men.

"What are you doing?" Mike asked his father as he seemed to be looking for something. Adelaide patted his chest, gaining his attention, and nodding towards some men who were discreetly approaching them. Mike looked at his wife's pants and grabbed the gun from her, she glared at him as he also grabbed the backup ammo in his hand. "Alright, Adelaide, stay with him. I'm gonna go draw them out."