At First there was Only Anger

Replacement. Once again, Bruce had found a replacement for his previous mistake. Except all his mistakes were people. Or had been, until Bruce had gotten them killed, left for dead, then buried six feet under.

         Bruce replaced Jason with a fucking child. Not just any child, but the slimmest, smallest kid he could find!

         At least Dick was a natural acrobat and Jason had some damn meat on his bones. Where had Bruce found this new kid?!

          Jason's attention turned back to the mob member in front of him. He had snot streaming his face, hands together, begging for his life. It was a shame Jason had no sympathy.

         He wasn't a monster, he just had no empathy for those who hurt others. For those who made their livelihoods taking from others, beating, killing others.

       Gun arm outstretched, muzzle a foot from the guy's forehead. Underneath his helmet, underneath his domino mask was a dead expression. This man's life meant nothing to Jason.

         As he was pulling the trigger a curious image popped into his head. The Replacement of all things.

         It caused him to pause, just for a moment. The first time he had seen the Replacement. Dark hair hanging in his eyes, parted down the middle. Pale skin and bags under his eyes. His eyes though, electric. A bruised cheek, however, both flooded with a strong red color after coming face to face with Jason. Suddenly the kid had a little more color in his face, a little less pale. His mouth opened but made no sound, his lips were moving though. That drew his attention to the kid's lips, he had a small cut on his lower lip, dark red dried blood.

         Already the image was fading and suddenly Jason was looking at snot-face. His finger pulled the trigger, the man fell back. Eyes glazed over, blood spurting from the new hole in the middle of his forehead.

         Jason couldn't help but gasp- for he saw a different image. In that moment he was watching, gun in hand has his Replacement fell back with a shocked look on his face. Eyes the window to the soul- the soul hurt, betrayed.

         Blood spurting out of his chest instead of his forehead the Replacement's arms were outstretched towards Jason as he fell.

         Blue eyes losing their luster. Skin growing pale from loss of blood. He just killed his Replacement.

         Jason watched the kid hit the ground. Thump. Suddenly it was the mob member who had been glazed in snot again. Not the kid.

       Jason's brow furrowed and his hand shook. He holstered the weapon and stared at the dead face before him. It was definitely not the Replacement.

         He took a step back and swallowed the bile in his throat. Thank goodness for his hood hiding his expressions. Even through his escirma mask he looked deeply troubled.

         As he left the body, left the basement, left the building, he felt a twinge of surprise. He was relieved.

         Relieved that he had not killed his Replacement.