nine

"Come in," Sean said after hearing two gentle knocks on his door in the early hour of the morning, just after he had woken up.

"Happy birthday." he hears Kaycee say as she walked into his room, holding some things."I wasn't sure if you be awake yet."

"Oh, I had forgotten. How did you know?" he queried

"You told me silly." she rolled her eyes, "May I?" she asked, nodding her head towards the side of his bed.

"Of course." he sat up straight and moved towards the middle of the bed as she sat facing him near the edge. He watched her fiddle and sit the things down. "What all this?" he asked reaching forward to a small box.

"Patience is a virtue, Sean. Wait." she scolded slapping his hand away. He rubbed the spot she hit and pouted like a toddler. Eventually, she had laid the few things out on his bed, grabbed one and looked up up him. "Here"

"What is it?" he took the small box out of her hand.

"Open it." she encouraged, a nervous smile on her face as she watched him.

"Cufflinks." he widely smiled, "Thank you, Kaycee."

"Look closer," she said. He was confused but did as she said, they were short gold bars, not much to see. He ran his finger across the top of one and felt it wasn't flat as he originally thought. He turned them towards the light, seeing what looked like writing embedded into the top on them. But it wasn't writing, it was a date.

"It says the 26th of October 1895, the day we got married."she shyly said "I'm sorry it small but I wanted to get the whole thing in and you probably think it's stupid-"

"-it's perfect." he interrupted, sending a thankful gaze her way. "How did you think of something like this?"

"When I was with the girls last week. I said I needed to get you something and they helped me find these. Bailey chose them, but I got them engraved."

"Well, thank you, Kaycee. They're the nicest I've ever seen." he smiled closing the box and setting it on his nightstand.

"Also I made you these." she picked up a plate and held it out to him. "Well, Agnes had to help me, but I did as much as I could."

"You baked me tarts?"

"There apple tarts, the recipe is from England. It's supposed to be the most delicious recipe ever." she said proudly. "but don't eat it now. Come downstairs once you've dressed, okay?" she said, taking the plate back out of his hand and rushing out the room. He laughed at her but listen and got out of bed. 

Following her orders, he put some more formal clothes and made his way downstairs. He heard shuffling noises from the dining room so he followed the noise. He saw Kaycee in there, catching her eye as he walked in.

"Surprise!" she said, "I made you breakfast too."

"Kaycee, this is too much." he walked over and sat down at the table.

"No, it isn't. It's your birthday and you deserve something nice." she smiled and sat too "But unsurprisingly I had to get help."

"The thought was yours and that's what counts." he laughed

"Oh! I almost forgot." she stood up and grabbed something off of a smaller table in the corner. "These are from your sisters and your mother sent a letter saying she plans to visit today."

"Thank you" he took the two letters out of her hand, opening the first one as he took a bite out of the meal set in front of him.

"What do they say?" she asked curiously.