Twelve

Nicklaus

My words had caused nothing but tears to spring from my sweet Ezra, but the sound of these tears are so very different than the panicked sobs he had let loose when I had been told it was time for me to go...

It's filled with unsure hiccups as he tries to think of something to say to the words that are so very true that they struck us both so clearly through the heart...

He is important to me...

He already feels like family...

Because he should be here right now...

I never should have left him there all alone... He doesn't deserve to be kept there when I am more than capable of keeping him safe... I can more than handle the responsibility of caring for him and loving him, and it's cruel of the staff to force us apart... Even if it is just a matter of waiting until tomorrow to return... He should be by my side and we both know it, and that is why this hurts so much... 

He's so alone, and so clearly just wants to be held... There isn't a single doubt in my mind that he isn't craving the feel of being pressed against me as much I am... That he wouldn't lean into me with all of his might and press that precious face of his into my neck so he feels just as sheltered as he needs to be with his delicate nature... 

I am well aware that I've already got feelings for him, and judging by the way he cried for me when it was time for us to part ways he surely feels something towards me... Even if it is currently only wanting me for comfort at the moment...

It's promising...

But also painful in the way that I feel like my sweet, sensitive Ezra needs me and I am literally not allowed to go to him and be with him... I cannot bring him home with me until he's more used to my presence and my home has been checked and confirmed up to code structurally, but also to ensure that I have indeed not only bought the security system that will help me keep him protected while we're at home on the vineyard... But I've also had it professionally installed, and opted for a tier higher than what was recommended to me... I am more than ready to bring my stunning Ezra home... It is only a matter of when I'm allowed to. 

Ezra

"Ezra... Darling... Please...My heart can't take the sound of your tears my Love... What might I do to soothe you?"  His voice drips like honey through the earpeice of my phone and it makes me clutch the device that much tighter... As if clinging to the phone itself would bring me the same level of closeness I had felt when in his lap even though I know that it won't... The phone is not the one who has just told me I am important to him already... It is simply what delivered Nicky's message to my ears, and for that I am grateful...

"C-Come back!" I can't seem to keep the words from falling out of my mouth again, and I know that it isn't fair of me to ask it of him when we both know that he cannot come back without possibly getting us both in trouble... And I can't imagine how it would feel to hear Ms.Ezalie tell him that he won't be welcome here anymore... It's so painful I cannot even imagining never seeing him again when today had felt so special... 

Somehow he had manged to convey to me that he absolutely is willing to take his time and be patient with me... That he has no problem giving me the comfort I need in order to feel okay... That he wants me to feel safe with him... And it had come across loud and clear, and now that it has been taken away from me, no matter how temporarily... I need it back more than I think I might need anything else ever again...

I want to feel warm... And listen to him tell me more about his life and what it's like to live outside... I want him to go back to asking me questions about what I like and dislike... I want to snuggle up to him in his lap and be reassured that soon I'll know what life outside of here is like on my own... And that Nicky is going to be the one to take me...

He starts to answer me, but I find my phone being gently pulled away from me by the fingers of Wendy, a gentle smile on her face as she gives the hand she's still holding a squeeze before interrupting my Nicky, "Mr.Nicklaus? Yes, yes it is Wendy, indeed!"

I can't help but stare at her in horror as I fear that she's decided that it's time for me to lay down because I've caused such a fuss and need to rest now... But instead, she veers down a very different path, "Are you still in the city at the moment?... I did take a chance and maybe glimpse at the file, Ezra is special to me... Well yes, I could get fired for snooping, but that isn't the point. I was only asking because... I'm the one on duty tonight after Ezalie goes home and I was wondering if you would like to stop by around... Nine-ish to say good night for a moment before heading back to the winery?"

I want to scream with how happy her suggestion makes me... Though I know she could possibly lose her job over inviting a guest to stop by not only so late at night... But letting Nicky see me after visiting hours when he isn't legally family yet... And all because she knows that mentally I already feel so attached that I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to sleep tonight... Because I like him enough to cry...And that he likes me enough for me to hear his exuberant "Yes!" even though the phone isn't pressed up to my ear any longer... 

I get to see my Nicky again before bedtime...