Simmering Tensions

Six years after reincarnation, I turned 11 years old. I estimate that it’s has been three years since my brother Randolph left for the royal capital.

At the training grounds inside the castle, a fighting tournament (that doubles as practice) is held once a month; in it, there are sword fights and unarmed combat, but the real highlight is the joust. The weapons used aren’t real, and highly lethal techniques are also prohibited, but still, it’s treated like a live battle where you wear armor, hold a shield, and fight opponents on horseback, so everyone gets serious, and above all else, it’s exciting!

“Take this…!” I cry.

“Well done!” the announcer cries. “Victory goes to Lady Rosalind!”

“This is her first ever victory!”

“I wonder if we’ll ever get to win one of these days…” another competitor mutters.

“My parents are disappointed, yes—but I’m sure they’ll get over it in time!”

The competitors are divided by age, because physical constitution and fitness are affected by it. I’m participating in the adolescent’s bracket for squires 10 to 14 years old.

“I heard you’ve won your first tournament, Rosalind,” Father said over dinner.

“I still can’t believe my ears…” Mother murmured.

Father’s eyebrows rose, his expression grew troubled.

“For an eleven-year-old girl to become a squire with just one tournament win in the adolescent’s bracket…” I muttered.

“I understand,” Father said. “You want to be told that you’re late. Your brother had several notable achievements at this age, after all.”

I wanted to make my first victory last year. There are already quite a few squires who are over-aged who’ve never won, so a tournament victory was just a bonus to them. However, I have a position and responsibility as a daughter of the Stanley family and as Randolph’s little sister so I have to work harder!

“No!” Mother cried. “Look at the other noble’s daughters! There is no one like you who’s so devoted to military training with the boys!”

“Mother, as I said from a long time ago, I would like to stay at the Stanley family as an assistant to my brother without having to be wed to another family, and do my best for my house. Aren’t there women who choose that way of life?”

Some people, even noble’s daughters, do not become brides and live a life of supporting their birthplace for their brothers and their children. As to be expected, there are rarely girls like me who choose to go into the military.

“If you were a daughter of another family, you could do that, but you–” Father suddenly cut off.

“Father?” I asked.

“Come to my bedroom later,” he said. “There’s something important you should know.”

“Ah…? Yes, Father.”

After finishing dinner, I headed to my father’s bedroom as I instructed. Father dismissed the maid, sat us down on the sofa, and said, “You seem to be actively studying politics and military tactics. Then can you see why the Arch region is of geopolitical importance to both the Kingdoms of Amelia and Valhalla?”

“Yes, Father,” I said. “If you try to attack Amelia from Valhalla, you must control the Arch region. If you suppress Arch, Valhalla will be able to attack Amelia all at once. Amelia wants a closer relationship with our family, the Marquis of the region, because after the death of the former King Cyrus, the power of the royal family weakened, while the power of their Lords has only become stronger.”