Welcome To The Tea Party

Time passed in a blink of an eye and now the day of the tea party was upon me. I invited not only prestigious aristocrats but also clergy members and singers from the commoners to prevent Eugenie from feeling too out of place.

Even so, Eugenie seemed to be nervous, embarrassed to sit at the table.

“Who are you?” someone at my table asked. “You’re so beautiful.”

“Lady Rosalind invited me,” Eugenie said. “I recently moved to Rose Village, and she wants to honour my parents who died taking care of our clergy.

“Oh my, my condolences for your loss. Take comfort, dear: Lady Rosalind is a very kind person.”

The female guests do not talk to Eugene directly, but whisper to each other. It’s okay for her to be rude and not to speak and engage them, but I wonder if I should talk to her directly—like Randolph is. “Ah, you’re Eugenie!” he said. “I’ve heard about you from my little sister—you’re as beautiful as she described. My name is Randolph Stanley, Rosalind’s older brother.”

“No, there’s nothing special about me,” Eugenie said, “I’m just a girl–” she’s blushing red as she rushes off.

This is bothering me! But why? I should have wanted Eugenie to enter Randolph’s route.

Eugenie looked at me anxiously because of the troubles expression on my face. I shouldn’t react—it would be villainous to take these emotions out on her. Instead, I smile with a teacup in one hand. “What about today’s fruit cake?” I ask. “It’s homemade by my maid, Aira. We use berries harvested from Rose village.”

“Ah, so you do!” Eugenie said before she took a bite. “It’s very delicious. Thank you, very much, Ms. Aira!”

Waiting beside me, Aira quietly took a small bow.

Aira is a maid who has been working for my family since three years ago, and is two years my senior. She’s got dark brown hair with eyes reminiscent of green agate, and though she looks quite a bit like Eugenie, she is a quiet person of few words and with a stalwart work ethic.

“I-I love cooking, sweets especially,” Eugenie said. “Ms. Aira, can you give me the recipe?”

“I’d be happy to,” Aira said. “I will give it to you before you leave.”

“Hey, Eugenie: what kind of food do you usually cook?”I ask.

“Um, stews, pies…” she mutters. “Just normal food, really.”

“Pies and stews!” Randolph said. “How fortunate, both are our favorites. Right, Rosalind?”

“Yes,” I said, “Stews and pies made from wild game are very delicious.”

“… My apologies,” Eugenie said, “I don’t get much meat, so the only ingredients I’m used to are vegetables.”

“It seems to be doing wonders for your health,” Randolph said. “Right, Rosalind?”

“Yes,” I said, “vegetables are essential for good health.”

“… Fu-fu,” Eugenie said, “thank you very much.”

It seems that conversation gave Eugenie peace, her awkwardness was gradually disappearing. After the tea party, I took a break, I let my brother escort me and Aira to the courtyard. I will have to remain on the terrace to meet and entertain the ladies, though—alas, such are my duties as the hostess.

“She seems like a good person, Lady Rosalind,” Aira said.

“Indeed,” I say.

“But still, I wonder why you ever invite a commoner’s child to a noble’s tea party…” said one guest as she stroked her cat—Madam Lorimar, owner of the Calmford farm.