Réunion With Eugenie

11th year since Reincarnation.

I’ve turned 16 and it has been an eventful year beside.

First, Mother died of an illness last year. We continued to have our disagreements about my life, but she still took it with grace and compassion. Ever since I regained my previous life’s memories, my not being her real daughter bothered me, but I think I believe our relationship was good all the same.

Second, after five years of training with the Royal Knights from age 13 to 18, Randolph has returned to the Arch region.

Third, Aaron stayed behind with the Royal Guard. Out of gratitude to myself and Randolph, Aaron tried to return to Arch and join our Knights, but he was persuaded to stay because of his achievements and they weren’t about to let go such a talented young knight any time soon, either. My plan to keep him out of the way in the Knights of Arch went awry, but I didn’t mind.

Now, he’s asking his mother to join him at the royal capital, and is active as a young knight. Still, he keeps us in his thoughts; from time to time, he sends us letters and without fail, they were always full of gratitude to myself and Randolph.

“Fuu …” I sigh.

“Rosalin, I’ve been hearing a lot of sighs from you these days,” Randolph says.

“Big Brother…”

Randolph is now in full control of our House. Father had been contemplating stepping down from his duties because he had been sick two years ago. And ever since Mother died, he’s become quite a bit older, the white hairs on his head growing more and more obvious.

“I’m just so frustrated that I can’t go out much these days,” I said.

I and Randolph continue to train, but recently I’ve been busy with my noble duties. I can’t go out hunting for fun. I sigh again as I look out of the window during a break from the work earlier this morning. “Yes, of course I understand the importance of all our work,” I said. “But living indoors for a long time just doesn’t suit me.”

“I beg to differ, Rosalin,” Randolph said. “You should be more mature and get used to your administrative duties, especially because your engagement with Prince Glenn has already been decided.”

“… Yes, I know,” I muttered.

Last year, my engagement with the prince was decided. Regardless of my opinions on the matter, talks were held between House Stanley and the royal family of Amelia. Randolph objected in my stead, but due to his weak influence, it was decided that I would marry Prince Glenn once I turned 18.

“Does your engagement sadden you, Rosalin?” Randolph asked.

“I know I shouldn’t say it out loud, but I really don’t want to be with Prince Glenn,” I said. (Since the maids were dismissed during our break, I could speak candidly.) “When I was eight years old, I met Prince Glenn for the first time, and had the opportunity to meet him several times after…”

Our first impression is the worst, but as we interacted more and got to know each other—there was nothing. No chemistry whatsoever. Really, the more I got to know him, the more I felt my initial repulsion were justified.

The original Rosalind was so taken with him, but I just can’t like Prince Glenn’s cold eyes.

“Honestly, a woman like you who isn’t chomping at the bit to marry a prince is the ideal candidate,” Randolph said.

“Do you really think so?” I said. Will either of us be happy if I marry Prince Glenn?”

“… No, it will be a difficult union,” Randolph admitted. “You’re by far the most independent of the noble ladies. The royal family has less freedom than we do. If the wife of the second prince is to win the hearts of the people, you’ll have to be the ideal wife: chaste, modest, and always happily snuggling up to her husband’s arm—