Chapter 9 [We're just friends]

Team

I can't believe I finished 3rd, I honestly thought I'd finish second to last but I did pretty good. Though I think I could've done better if my mind wasn't in such a mess. Throughout the whole competition all I could think about was last night, and well.. whatever it is that Win did. More so, I wonder why he did it, and just when I feel myself coming close to the answer I decide I'm overthinking it and it's just Win messing with me. But that conclusion makes me annoyed; why is he messing with me? My mind's been going in circles like this all day, and as I'm standing on the podium I can't even enjoy it because I know I have to face Win when I get off. When we woke up this morning he offered to make me breakfast, but I rushed off instead, using some lame excuse I can't even remember. I glance over quickly to the spectator seats to see if I could spot him, in case I want to avoid him, but all I could see was blurred faces and big banners. You'd think he'd be easy to spot with his bleach blonde hair.

I don't know what the announcer just said but the other two guys are leaving the podium, so I guess I'll do the same. There's loads of people swarming in from the spectators seats, I should take this opportunity to get to the changing rooms. I glance back once, only to hope I won't spot him, which I don't. I'll skip showering and head home right away. I'll face Win tonight when the swimming team is drinking to my "victory" -really the boys just take any reason to go out drinking-. Right now I don't feel like getting teased, but tonight with bit of alcohol in my system I'll take any type of teasing he throws at me. I'll just let it slide right off me, that'd annoy him I'm sure. If I just don't give him a satisfying reaction at all. Drunk me has to remember this otherwise my plan will be totally ruined. I walk back out of the changing rooms and am immediately greeted by Win, "Why are you in such a hurry? The whole team is here to congratulate you." 

I notice him looking me up and down. "You didn't even shower," there's a hint of annoyance on his face and a hint of something I can't make out. "Ah- I'm not feeling well, so I wanted to get home quick," as I said that all annoyance left his face and what was left was worry; I guess that was the other hint I couldn't make out. "Will you be okay on your own?"

"Yes!" I answered that way too quickly. "I mean, yes. I'm just gonna get some sleep. I'll feel better by tonight to go for drinks," I notice I've been nervously rubbing my hands together and quickly drop them by my sides, only to then decide crossing my arms is a better position. He must notice I'm being totally awkward. "Okay if you say so. See you tonight then," he shoots me a smile but it feels off compared to his usual ones. I don't know why I notice such a thing, and I know even less why I felt a slight 'pang' in my chest when I did notice. "Ye, see ya tonight," I try to smile back but I feel my smile was even more pathetic than his was. I feel tense as I walk away up until I'm outside the building breathing in fresh air.

Win

It was awkward talking to Team just now. I don't know what's going through that boys head, but he can't seem to get away from me quickly enough. This morning when he woke up he looked really embarrassed and he left right away, giving some weak excuse about needing to get his stuff ready for the competition. And now he doesn't even stick around to see the team, or his friends for that matter. Instead he changes without showering and tells me he's going home to sleep because he's not feeling well. He's avoiding me, it's obvious. I didn't think that when I kissed him -or it was more of a peck really- yesterday that he'd take it this badly. It's not like I've never teased him before. Sure, this wasn't really me teasing and more so me trying to flirt, but I figured he'd be too dumb to notice the difference anyways. Usually Team bites back whenever I do something, I've never seen him act like this before. I might have really fucked up this time.

-

Almost everyone of the swimming team is out today, enjoying a drink with as excuse that we're celebrating Team's first real competition. Of course Dean is a no show, no surprise there. But Team hasn't showed up yet either. I texted him asking if he wanted to go to the bar together, but he ignored my message. And I thought about knocking on his door, but if he's really trying to avoid me I won't make his job difficult for him. I take another shot and look at my phone, waiting for a message or a call, telling me he's on his way. No notifications. "Forget it," I snap as I throw my phone on the table. I won't look at it again. "Forget what Win?" A slightly intoxicated team member, Neung, looks at me with a dim expression. "Your girlfriend not answering the phone?" He seems to think himself very funny since he snorts right after he says it. "Why don't you keep out of my business before I decide to make you do extra practise?" His expression changes instantly and he apologises. "Lemme get you another drink," he skitters off. Without even noticing what I'm doing I reach for my phone to check the notifications. I'm about to curse at myself when I notice it. A message from Team.