பீதி

*She dialled Jeeva's number immediately on getting inside her car. It rang fully, but no response. She dialled again. She want him to know the urgency of this issue. 2nd full ring. No response. She was irritated*

Me: Mani 9 aguthu, innuma practice pannitu irukan..

*Jeeva is in Indore for his volley ball semi-final match. Kathir accompanied him as a potential substitute. Match is 2 days away, so Meena knew this news won't hamper their mood much. It could be heart shattering for Kathir, but she is planning to tell only to Jeeva*

*3rd dial - after 5 mins. Full ring. No response*

"2 missed call paathu kooda phone pannala, ennava irukum.. Oru Vela phone ah room la vechitu sapda poitano"

*She thought of dialling Kathir's number, but that will lead to unnecessary questions. So, she waited to reach home*

*Meena's house is nearby Mullai's and she reached in 15 mins. She dialled his number again after reaching home, and again full ring. Her reaction changed from irritation to panic*

"Ennava irukum, en call ah eduka matikran, Jeeva eppavum ipdi panna maatane. Oru Vela match related announcement poitu irukumo. Ethukum Oru message anupi papom"

'Call back when free. It's urgent', sent. It's the initial days of Whatsapp launch and there is no double tick or blue tick. She has to wait for the reply with zero clues. She waited. Waited. Waited for another half an hour and no reply. The emotions quickly escalated from panic to fear*

"Jeeva ku ethachum airukumo. Kadavule!! En ellame ipdi ore nerathula nadakuthu. Ivanga match ku ooruku ponatha use panni thaan Iva venumne kalyanathuku AMA soliruka. Ipdi irukravangala ellam en tension pannitu iruka. Intha Jeeva ku vera Enna achunu therila. First call panni 1 hour aguthu, innum Oru reply um kanom. Apdi Enna panitu irukano"

*Parallely*

*Kathir was mindlessly rushing inside the hospital, tears gushing from his eyes*

"Jeeva Jeeva.. Yes.. Gvt college.. Sports accident.. Yes.. Same.. Yes HIM.. What.. ICU.. What.. whaat HAPPENED!!!! Okay.. where.. where is the ward?? Ok, ok thanks", He thanked the receptionist and ran to the right wing.

And found his teammates waiting outside the ICU hall. He ran to them and almost slipped when Prabhu caught him.

P: Hey, paathu da..

K: Ennachu epdi irukan..

P: Bayapadra alavu onnum ilanu soltanga da..

*Kathir breathed a sigh of relief, but tears didn't stop it's flow *

P: Dei ethuvum ila, en da alara.. konjam face la damage, kannu la light ah Oru issue..athvum Oru 6 months la back to normal aidum da..

K: 6 masama..

*Kathir has reached a point of dejection*

K: Match.. Match Ada mudiyuma..

P: Ball face la thaana da adichiduchu, athanaala kannu..

*Kathir held Prabhu's shirt*

K: Ennada achu avan kannuku..

P: Patharatha da.. kannu la adi patruchu.. onnum serious ah ila da.. Ana innum Oru 3 masathuku match aada mudiyathu..

*Kathir's head whirled. Everything happened because of him. Jeeva has never been careless. He never missed a shot. He missed this particular shot because of him. If only they didn't fight in the evening about proposing to Mullai, this wouldn't have happened. He shouldn't have left. Whatever be the issue, it is irresponsible on his side to leave him alone in the ground and aimlessly roam around the city*

*When the call about Jeeva's accident reached Kathir, his mind went blank. Jeeva is unconscious- A ball stuck fiercely on his face- Come to Divine hospital- is what the call said and ended abruptly. He don't remember how he managed to reach the hospital in 40 mins from around 45 kms outside the city. He drove like mad and was sure to have won some harsh scoldings from the patrollers. He didn't skip the traffic rules, but he drove ruthlessly*

*Hearing that Jeeva's eyes are damaged and face won't be the same for next 6 months broke his heart. He blamed himself for this accident. He and his silly stubbornness. What it had caused. Jeeva's match. His sports quota. His career. His future*

*He slided down the wall and sat down, completely broken and dejected*

*Meena called for fifth time*

P: Dei..

K:

*Kathir's mind is numb*

P: Dei Kathiru..

*Prabhu shook his shoulders to bring him out of the jolt*

K: Hmm..

P: Meena nu orthanga Jeeva phone ku call pannite irukanga, veetla irunthu pesranga pola.. nee pesriya..

*Next wave of shock. How is he going to reveal this is Jeeva's family and Meena. How is he going to face them after this blunder. How can he even tell this to them in words*

*Meena's 6th call*

P: Machan, adichite irukanga da..vaangi pesu..

*Kathir was like a zombie and it took him so much efforts to move his hand and hold the phone. He attended the call at the last ring*

Me: Hello, Jeeva, Hello, Hello, Jeeva, Dei.. Hello...

K: ... Meena...naan..