Chapter 1: Worst Day Ever

Ira

"Do problems 1-70 evens, 85-100, and 105 for tomorrow. You have five minutes left of class so go ahead and start."

Of course no one would start working on it. No one ever did. Except me, that is. I always did my work, I never talked to my classmates. Not unless...

"Hey," the hot guy sitting next to me leaned over. He smelled really good and I felt myself blush, not because he smelt good, but because no one ever talked to me. "Do you have any gum?"

I slowly shook my head and he leaned away back to his friend's conversation.

Thanks James, I acidly thought.

I started on the calculus problems and felt my head hurting because there was too much noise around me. Everyone was yelling and the girls were squealing and squeaking becasue they were talking to the guys about the prom. I rolled my eyes at the thought of prom.

Of course I wanted to go, I mean, what girl doesn't! It doesn't matter how much you say that you don't, deep down every girl wants to go just to feel accepted. But sadly I knew no one would ask me to prom and I had no friends to go with so I would just end up staying home, eating ice cream, and talking to my friend on the other side of the world about how much I hate it here.

"I think she's just plain ugly!" someone whispered loudly. I continued to do my homework, but I kept a close ear on the conversation. I knew they were talking about me, something just told me they were.

"Shh! She can probably hear us!" someone else said.

"I doubt it. She's totally zoned out in the math." Yep, always about me.

"You're right. No wonder no guy is going to ask her to the prom! She doesn't even have a feminine side! I bet she's secretly gay," someone else laughed, causing the other's join in.

"No way! What girl would fall for her?" they all laughed again.

A guy's voice joined into teir conversation. "Who are you girls gossiping about now?" I knew his voice, it was Tanner Smith, football star and crush of every girl. Single, hot, and nice, everyone's dream boyfriend.

"Ira Hills."

"Who's that?" he asked.

That's right. I've lived here in this damn town for almost seven years and no one knew it. No one rememebred me except the girls that made fun of me because I was socially awkward. It hurt.

"Ew, no one is asking her to prom!" he laughed.

My pencil snapped. I was gripping it so tightly that I broke it in half. My third pencil today. Suddenly the bell rang and everyone bolted out of class and ran to their lockers so they could make it to their cars and go home. I was the last one sitting in class, still holding my broken pencil and staring at my paper.

"Ira?" Mrs. Willemsen asked, walking up next to my desk. "Are they saying things about you again?"

I slolwy nodded and then stood up, packing my things together. Mrs. Willemsen let out a sigh and placed a hand on my shoulder for comfort. She was such a nice teacher, my favorite, actually.

"Don't give up," she smiled. "Only a few weeks left then you can kiss them all goodbye for a while!"

I smiled at her. "Kiss them? I'd rather hit them!"

Mrs. Willemsen laughed and walked out of the room. I grabbed my stuff and walked to my locker, and no one else was close to me because they all bolted already, so I took my time. Once everything was together, I closed my locker and walked out to go find my mom who was picking me up to go shopping.