Chapter Five

"So are we gonna try it out?" I ask, looking over how the song is supposed to be. Ashton was already perched behind the drums, playing around with some new drumsticks, and I sat on the floor with one of Luke's legs on either side of me. He sat on the couch with Mikey's head on his shoulder. It was another chill day avoiding our project.

Calum rolls towards me, finding a way to stop with his head resting on my thighs. "I think we should."

I push him off my lap and use Luke's legs to push me off the ground. I make sure each music stand in Ashton's basement was set up properly for the boys. They get into position and I take a seat on the speaker like my first time watching them. Michael looks at me funny.

"You're supposed to sing, too, Kid."

I shake my head and laugh. "Nice joke, that's not happening."

Calum nods his head. "Yeah, it is. It's on the sheet. All members of the group must contribute to the final performance."

I bite my lip. "I don't remember it saying that."

"It does, Kid," Luke presses and I groan.

"Must I?"

"Yes!" They collectively shout at me.

I scowl at them and stand. "What am I supposed to do?"

Ashton smirks at me. "Sing and play piano, like you said you could."

"I'm not singing Taylor Swift," I snort. "And you don't have a piano."

"But he does have an electric keyboard in the closet, right Ashton?" Calum retorts.

Ashton nods and stands. "I'll get it now."

And he does just that. He opens up the door to a closet I never noticed and pulls out a keyboard, chord, and stand for it. I frown as he begins setting it up. "Does the song even have piano?"

"We can find chords," Luke sighs. I feel my cheeks heat up as he takes his guitar off and sets it on the stand. He walks towards the stairs and stops, turning to me. "Coming? This was our job."

I quickly walk off after him, my stomach turning. Although I made it clear I was in no position to be touched by anyone, I could feel Luke staring at my ass as I walked up the stairs. I roll my eyes at the thought and as soon as I get to the top of the basement stairs, I bolt to the second set of stairs. I race up them, making it to the top without a sign of Luke being close. The moment both of my feet hit solid flooring, a pair of hands grab my waist and I'm thrown over a shoulder. One arm is wrapped tight around my waist with a free hand 'supporting' my butt.

I use Luke's back to push my upper body up so I'm not hanging loosely over his shoulder. I let out a giggle as he sets me on my feet, keeping ahold of my waist. I pull away and take a seat on the bed. "You know I can't."

He sighs and agrees, nodding his head. "I know. But Kid?"

"What?" I grunt, my face scrunched up in frustration.

He brings his eyes to meet mine. "Not all men are bad. Just because two or three are, doesn't mean they all are."

I look away from him and bring my knees to my chest. It's not that I didn't want to, because I surely did. Luke really has been sweeter since yesterday in the bathroom. But just the feeling of hands on me reminded me of him and all he did. I can't get passed the feeling of the mental and physical pain he afflicted on me.

"It's done," Luke says, bringing me out of my thoughts. I drop my jaw a little and let out a barely audible 'oh.' Luke stands from the chair, collecting the sheets and turns on his heel, striding out of the room, leaving me frozen and speechless. I take in a deep breath and scurry after him.