Chapter Eleven

I plop my butt down in the passenger seat of Sheila's minivan, buckling my seat in and plugging my phone in.

"Excuse me? Isn't it my turn?" Lana whines from the back.

I shake my head. "You got it on the way to the first mall, and Dayton to the second. My turn."

She pouts at me and I smirk, turning away. I scroll through my playlists before picking my workout list and clicking the first song I saw. I hear Lana let out a sigh of relief and start singing along. Dayton furrows her eyebrows as Sheila pulls onto the road. "Who is this and what song?"

"It's Mariana's Trench, Decided to Break It. I'm in love with Joshua Ramsay," I gush quickly, singing the lyrics again.

"Is he the drummer or something?" Dayton asks.

"No, that's Ian," Lana replies.

I shush Lana and turn back to Dayton. "Joshua Ramsay is the lean singer and main song writer for the group. They formed in 2001 in Vancouver and started as a punk band. Josh had black hair with blue peek a boo. Since then, it's gone white and blue. They are now a punk band, and I'm planning on proposing when I fly back home."

Dayton laughs. "You are in love with him. Have you met?"

"Twice, and I've seen them live eight times." I blush, brining my knees up to my chest. "Now hush, my favourite part."

"A thousands promises that never seemed to help me before,
A hundred less and I would stumble till I found the back door,
With nothing left to think, probably sit around and ignore,
The apathy that always pains me,
It always finds a way to break me down."

Lana and I sing the harmonies together, her struggling to keep the pitch and tune to her voice. Much to my surprise, Sheila was squeaking along too, her higher pitched voice hitting the higher octaves better than I could. I smile at faces Lana begins making. She gives up and pouts at me. "Your voice is so nice, it's so unfair."

"Life's unfair, babe," Dayton laughs, Sheila turning the corner.

The song changes and the beginning chords play. Lana begins freaking in the back, squeaking and slapping my arm. "I THOUGHT YOU HATED THIS SONG. OH MY GOD. I LOVE YOU."

"Shut up and sing with us then," Sheila teases, nudging my elbow. I look at her and sing, our voices flowing together. Although I hate the song, I need to know it, especially since our presentation was in two days. Funny how it fell on my birthday. I look in the review mirror and laugh as Lana performs in the backseat.

"SING!" She yells at me, catching my eye.

I wait for the lyrics to pick up again and I mindlessly let the words fall out. "Grab your passport and my hand, 'cause I can make the bad guys good for a weekend."

Sheila lets out an blood curdling scream and slams on the break, sending my face into the dashboard. I use all my strength to push off the dashboard, hot blood running from my nose. The car jerks to a stop and I look around, my head throbbing.

"KID! ARE YOU OKAY!?" Dayton screeches, throwing her seat belt off and diving at me. She begins turning my face to examine it. Lana whips her belt off and jumps to the front, grabbing my face from Dayton. I wince at the actions.

"Are you guys done throwing me around?" I groan, placing my sweater sleeve to my nose and pressing gently. "What even happened?"

"A child-" Sheila is cut off by a tapping on the window. She opens the door. "Is your daughter okay!"

I cut the sound and study the man. He smiles a familiar smile. "She's just fine, a little scared but fine."

Sheila sighs in relief, putting her hands on the steering wheel and placing her forehead against her thumbs. I study the man closer, he had a slight dimple I swear is familiar. He catches my eye and frowns. "Kid, are you okay?"

"I think so, Mansfield." I feel blood begin trickling from my nose and I place my sleeve back on my face. With a muffled voice, I add on "just dandy."

"Looks like it," Mr. Mansfield laughs, looking at the other three. "Sheila, Dayton, Lana. Are you all alright?"

"I'm fine," Dayton replies, sitting back in her seat.

"I'm a little spooked," Sheila whispers, keeping her forehead pressed against the steering wheel. She has managed to calm her breathing and was keeping herself from hyperventilating once again.

Lana just mumbles something about being okay, and Mr. Mansfield relaxes. "Well-"

"Well," Sheila interrupts. She shuts her mouth and blushes. Mr. Mansfield motions for her to go first. "I'm sorry about what happened."

"It's alright. My daughter is def in one ear and we haven't gone for batteries for the hearing aid yet," Mr. Mansfield explains. "She couldn't hear the car. I think it's best we get them now. Thank you for stopping when you did."

"I'm the most careful driver I know," Sheila laughs as she looks up from the steering wheel, obvious she really is an amazing driver. She sighs and gives a small wave. "I should get Kid's nose checked out. See you around."

She closes the door quickly and turns the key, the van roaring to life. I bite my lip and rest my head on the head rest, bringing the sleeve down from my nose. The blood immediately starts dripping and I place the fabric back. There goes my favourite sweater.

Song: Decided to Break It by Mariana's Trench bc Joshua Ramsay *heart eyes*

New an: josh ramsay is still *heart eyes*