CHAPTER 35

That afternoon was one of the happiest Isa and Percy had ever spent at camp, which maybe goes to show, you never know when your world is about to be rocked to pieces.

Grover announced that he'd be able to spend the rest of the summer with them before resuming his quest for Pan. His bosses at the Council of Cloven Elders were so impressed that he hadn't gotten himself killed and had cleared the way for future searchers, that they granted him a two-month furlough and a new set of reed pipes. The only bad news: Grover insisted on playing those pipes all afternoon long, and his musical skills hadn't improved much. He played 'YMCA', and the strawberry plants started going crazy, wrapping around their feet like they were tangling to strangle them. Isa couldn't blame them.

Grover told Percy that he could dissolve the empathy link between them, now that they were face to face, but Percy told him he'd just as soon keep it if that was okay with Grover. Grover put down his reed pipes and stared at Percy. "But if I get in trouble again, you'll be in danger, Percy! You could die!"

"If you get in trouble again, I want to know about it. And I'll come help you again, G-man. I wouldn't have it any other way."

In the end Grover agreed not to break the link. He went back to playing 'YMCA' for the strawberry plants.

Later on during archery class, Chiron pulled Percy aside. Once he came back, he told his sister how Chiron had fixed all his problems at Meriwether Prep. The school no longer blamed him for destroying their gymnasium and the police were no longer looking for him. According to Percy, Chiron used the Mist. Chiron taught Isa a bit of manipulating the Mist last year after summer. She made a mental note on working on that over the year. Unfortunately for Percy, he was expelled.

Then he went to talk to his mom. She gave him the usual talk then saying how glad they were that their child was okay. When Percy revealed to Isa that he wasn't staying year-round, she wasn't surprised. She thinks she'd be more surprised if he stayed year-round.

As for Tyson, the campers treated him like a hero. Isa would've been happy to have him as her cabin mate forever, but that evening, as her, Percy and Tyson were sitting in a sand dune overlooking the Long Island Sound, he made an announcement that completely took his siblings by surprise.

"Dream came from Daddy last night," he said. "He wants me to visit."

Percy and Isa looked at each other. They wondered if he was kidding, but Tyson really didn't know how to kid.

"Poseidon sent you a dream message?" Isa asked.

Tyson nodded. "Wants me to go underwater for the rest of the summer. Learn to work at Cyclopes' forges. He called it an inter–an intern—"

"An internship?" Percy said.

"Yes."

Percy and Isa let that sink in. Isa will admit, she felt a little jealous. Poseidon had never invited her underwater. But then she thought, Tyson was going? Just like that?

"When would you leave?" Percy and Isa asked together. Creeping them both out.

"Now."

"Now. Like... now now?" Isa asked.

"Now."

Percy and Isa stared out at the waves in the Long Island Sound. The water was glistening red in the sunset.

"I'm happy for you, big guy," Percy managed. "Seriously."

"Me too, Ty." Isa smiled at him.

"Hard to leave my new brother and sister," he said with a tremble in his voice. "But I want to make things. Weapons for the camp. You will need them."