CHAPTER 68

Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, Isa felt like they'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico. They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds.

Isa couldn't decide which seemed less real⎼New York or the crystal cave where she'd watched a goodie.

Percy led the way into an alley, where they could get a nice echo. Then he and Isa whistled as loud as they could, five times.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack and Choco were in the lead, followed by four of their white friends.

Yo, boss! Blackjack spoke in their minds.

Sup, lady boss! Choco said. You lived!

"Yeah," Percy told them. "We're lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp quick."

That's our specialty! Oh man, you got that Cyclops with you? Yo, Guide! How's your back holding up? Blackjack replied.

The pegasus Guido groaned and complained, but eventually, he agreed to carry Tyson.

Everybody started saddling up⎼except Rachel.

"Well," she told Percy and Isa, "I guess this is it."

Isa nodded uncomfortably. The three all knew she couldn't go to camp. She glanced at Annabeth, who was pretending to be very busy with her pegasus.

"Thanks, Rachel," Isa said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Thanks a lot, Rachel," Percy said.

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan..." Her voice faltered.

"He said something about your father," Percy remembered. "What did he mean?"

Rachel twisted the strap on her backpack. "My dad... My dad's job. He's kind of a famous businessman."

"You mean... you're rich?"

"Well, yeah."

"So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us?" Isa asked. "You just said your dad's name and⎼"

"Yes," Rachel cut her off. "Isa, Percy... my dad's a land developer. He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land." She took a shaky breath. "The wild. He-he buys it up. I hate it, but he plows it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centers. And now that I've seen Pan... Pan's death⎼"

"Hey, you can't blame yourself for that," Isa said.

"You don't know the worst of it. I-I don't like to talk about my family. I didn't want you to know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"No," Percy said. "It's cool. Look, Rachel, you were awesome. You led us through the maze. You were so brave. That's the only thing I'm going to judge you on. I don't care what your dad does."

Isa smiled at her in comfort.

Rachel looked at them gratefully. "Well... if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again... you could call me or something."

"Uh, yeah. Sure." She knitted her eyebrows. Percy guessed he sounded unenthusiastic or something, but that's not how he meant it. He just wasn't sure what to say with all his friends standing around. And Percy guessed his feelings had gotten pretty mixed up, the last couple of days. Isa knew what Percy was feeling and decided to save his ass.