nine

2012

"Why would you ever kiss me? I'm not even half as pretty."

Harry closed his eyes as he brought the song to a close. The events of the past two years flashed through his head, and he fought to push them away. Over the years, Harry had grown to understand how foolish he was. Louis was never going to be interested in him. So he moved on.

Shaking his head, Harry took in the applause and stepped back to where Niall was sipping his coffee. The blond boy accompanied Harry whenever he performed, and soon they became a joint act.

"I don't think you're meant to drink up here."

"It's a coffee shop. Why wouldn't I drink up here?"

Harry laughed and hurried down to let the next artist perform.

"Harry!"

Confused, Harry turned around to face a soft-eyed boy.

"Hi! I'm Liam! You left your sweater."

Liam passed Harry a forest green pile. It reminded Harry of something. Citrus-scented.

"That's not mine," Harry pointed out, frowning at the sweater.

"Oh," Liam said, "He told me it belonged to you."

Harry followed Liam's eyes to a short boy standing at the coffee shop door. For December weather, he wasn't wearing a sweater. Harry grimaced at him and pushed the green pile back to Liam.

"Wait! Are you alright?"

Niall watched Harry move past Liam and towards Louis. He took a step to follow him when Liam put his arm out.

"Hang on, this looks important."

The two boys stood silently as Harry stopped in front of his best friend. Old best friend. First love. Old love. Harry wanted to be mad. He really did. But the look on Louis' face made it impossible.

It reminded him of December 3, 2010. Except Louis was looking at him and no one else.