prologue.

(Y/n) pulled at the bottom of the rather short black skirt, feeling uncomfortable with her rather revealing outfit. She turned to her assigned partner, Detective Zack Fujinuma, and asked him, "Are you sure I have to wear this, Fujinuma? I mean, this outfit is really uncomfortable. I feel like my butt's sticking out..."

"Don't worry about it, rookie," he answered in a nonchalant manner, pushing back his long dark red bangs. "I've been on the force longer. Besides, you're only nineteen. You still have that young physique that our suspect is interested in." He started pushing her towards the club doors despite her slight resistance. "This is your first undercover mission and I've been doing this for years. Trust me."

"But Fujinuma," she slid to the side, her boots scraping against the concrete, "wouldn't it be easier just to do surveillance from a distance or from wherever they watch the security cameras? That way we wouldn't have to worry about getting caught or killed, mainly I wouldn't have to worry about getting caught or killed. This isn't really a disguise rather than what you pulled from some thrift shop." She gestured to her outfit, which consisted of a short black skirt, a rather skimpy blue crop top, and black boots. "It feels like you're sending me into the lion's den—and I'm bound to get eaten!"

Fujinuma waved away her concerns and clearly better alternatives. He scoffed, crossing his arms and snapping at her, "Are you really going to question your senior detective, (L/n)? I don't suppose you think your ideas are better than mine... do you?"

But they are, she thought, biting her tongue so she wouldn't snap back at him. Your last two partners were hurt because of your bad ideas. I may be a rookie, but I clearly have better ideas than you, Mr. Senior Detective.

Fujinuma grabbed her almost bare shoulders, turning her around and shoving her one more time towards the club doors. She looked back, glaring at Fujinuma as he disappeared back into the alley they were just conversing in. She sighed, turning around and pushing back a stray piece of (h/c) hair.

Okay, maybe I can do this. It can't be that bad... can it?

(Y/n) laid in the alleyway a couple blocks over, her face planted into the cold concrete

(Y/n) laid in the alleyway a couple blocks over, her face planted into the cold concrete. Blood gushed from her wound on her bare stomach, a puddle circling where she was laying. She looked up, her vision blurring as she watched the men who had nearly killed her stride away in a confident manner.

She barely heard them converse with an outside source, widening her eyes as she realized who they were talking to.

"Alright, Fujinuma. We dealt with the girl. She should be dead," one of the brutes informed the dirty cop. "We owe you again for the tip. I'd never think a rookie would be working on such a difficult case."

"That's why I contacted you," the deep, hoarse voice of Fujinuma replied to (Y/n)'s horror. "I knew this kid was going to be trouble. I'm just glad you two didn't get killed yourselves."

"Why's that?" A third voice questioned.

"She's an ability user. Not a very good one, but she is one. According to her file, it's triggered by stress and whenever she feels very threatened."

"Then she's at peace while she dies."

The rest of the conversation was hard to hear, the voices quieting as (Y/n) started to lose consciousness from her massive blood loss. She did hear footsteps approaching, weakly lifting her head to find Fujinuma staring down at her with the most evil expression one could muster.

"Bastard..." she muttered, coughing up some blood right after. "I'll... I'll..."

"What's that?" he asked in a mocking tone, kneeling down and putting his hand to his ear. "I'm sorry, were you trying to say you'd kill me? I seriously doubt you could, my dear (Y/n)."

(Y/n) shot him a glare, one that could kill if it could. She coughed again, blood sputtering onto the ground and almost onto Fujinuma's rather nice shoes.

He immediately stood up and stepped back, looking down at (Y/n) with a disgusted expression. "You should've just stayed across the country. You made a horrid mistake coming to Yokohama."

(Y/n) muttered something else, something that was inaudible to Fujinuma. He scoffed again, stuffing his hands in his pockets and asking her in a cocky, mocking tone, "What's that? I'm afraid your voice is about to give out along with your body. Just die now or die painfully, kid."

"Special Ability," (Y/n) started, rolling her head to the side as she had a slight blue glow outlining her dying body, "The Beauty of Water."

Fujinuma widened his eyes after hearing her say this, looking up as the puddles from the day's earlier rain started to glow and come together. He muttered some curses under his breath, watching the special ability before his eyes.

The water came together, forming a dragon-like creature that was definitely pissed. (Y/n) stared Fujinuma down, mumbling as she started to lose consciousness, "Ryuji—attack."

Ranpo and Fukuzawa walked down the street, having solved the case (Y/n) and Fujinuma were supposed to be working on in about five minutes

Ranpo and Fukuzawa walked down the street, having solved the case (Y/n) and Fujinuma were supposed to be working on in about five minutes. They paused at an alley about two blocks away from the club they had left, hearing water and swimming noises.

They went to the alley, finding a sight to behold and to be horrified by:

(Y/n) was on the ground, almost dead, while Ryuji, the water dragon, was twisted around Fujinuma. Ryuji's tail was wrapped around Fujinuma's head and neck, simultaneously choking and drowning him.

Fukuzawa and Ranpo shared a look, making a decision that would change the near-corpse's life forever.