chapter nine.

"I'm sorry... I really wish I could help you, but..." Sasaki looked down at the floor, responding to their questions in an apologetic tone. "I've always been prone to illness, and I'm anemic, which causes me to faint every now and then. I was feeling especially ill the day I was abducted... I passed out at the train station, probably from the anemia."

How unfortunate... (Y/n) thought to herself as she listened to Sasaki relay the information to them. The kidnapper must've had a field day if she's prone to passing out. Makes her the perfect target... Something doesn't feel right though...

"Then that would mean someone abducted you in the midst of the confusion after you passed out," Kunikida stated.

That's rather bold though. Kidnapping someone who's passed out in a large crowd is bound to draw some attention. There's only a couple good ways to hide a body while traveling and I'm starting to get to it...

"Let me say... thank you so much for saving me yesterday," she thanked the trio. "I... I don't have any friends or family to turn to, so..." She hung her head afterward, staying silent after the rather sad statement. After a brief moment of silence, she added, "You even allowed me to stay at your home last night..."

Huh?! Who is she talking about? (Y/n) turned to Kunikida, who looked just as confused as she was. (Y/n) then asked her, "Wait, where did you stay last night?"

"My place," Dazai replied in a nonchalant tone, almost as if it weren't a big deal.

(Y/n) and Kunikida shared another look, very distraught by the very calm and bold answer. Dazai had a small smile on his face, relishing in the two's very obvious concern and confusion.

Oh. My. God.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Dazai," Sasaki thanked him, starting to look bashful as she spoke. "You... You. were very... kind to me last night..."

(Y/n) covered her mouth, trying to hide the fact that her jaw basically dropped to the floor. After she had even decided to go on a date with Dazai—the same man who suggested they met up—he was now sleeping with clients at his home. Apparently Kunikida had a similar thought—omitting the date part of course.

What?

"What's wrong, Kunikida?" Dazai asked in an innocent manner. "You've got a really weird look on your face."

"Dazai... Don't you think that's taking things a little too fast?" Kunikida asked him, (Y/n) staying completely silent and frozen as he spoke.

"I... I was the one who asked him to let me stay over," Sasaki interjected. "I basically forced him."

Oh my god—

"Hey, don't worry about it," Dazai assured her, a smile spreading across his face. "I simply did was any gentleman would. Besides, I'm used to getting asked for things from people I just met."

Dazai started to leave after they finished speaking with Sasaki, Kunikida following him. (Y/n), who was staring at the floor with her hand still covering her mouth, hadn't moved. She was afraid that if she were to move—her legs would give out.

Kunikida noticed, grabbing her arm and basically dragging her out the door. (Y/n) didn't say anything, normally not appreciating getting dragged along anywhere by anyone.

What is this feeling? It feels like someone just took a weight, kicked me onto my back, and dropped the weight onto my chest. (Y/n) felt Kunikida's grip tighten on her arm as she started to slow down slightly, pulling her along the hallway. I don't like this feeling. Dazai is a grown man—he can do whatever he wants. It's not like we made a blood pact to go on a date. He can sleep with whoever he wants... Then why do I feel so betrayed?