chapter ten.

The trio stood near the shore, allowing the cool breeze to blow past them. All of (Y/n)'s thoughts regarding her feelings towards Dazai and Kunikida's feelings towards her were pushed to the back of her mind. All the mattered was the case and catching the kidnapper.

"Detective Kunikida!" The taxi driver from before stopped behind them, calling out to Kunikida. "Please get in."

They immediately get in, (Y/n) sitting up front this time as she holds a small water bottle, resting it on her lap after getting in. Kunikida then said, "I apologize for the sudden call."

"Oh, don't be," the driver reassured them. "I would go through fire and water for you and the Agency, Detective! So are you in a hurry to get somewhere? Don't you worry! The speed limit means nothing to me!"

(Y/n) immediately thought back to when Dazai briefly drove, quickly replying, "It really should."

"Anyway," Kunikida steered the conversation away from maintaining the speed limit and not dying, "do you remember the missing-persons case we spoke of last evening? Well, (Y/n) and I figured out who the kidnapper is."

"What?!" The taxi driver exclaimed, (Y/n) noticing his grip on the steering wheel tighten slightly. "I saw the news about the abandoned hospital. I feel so sorry for those poor victims... So we're going to arrest the kidnapper, yes? Roger that! We have to hurry, though, or he'll get away. So where is this perpetrator?"

"Oh we won't have to go far!" (Y/n) told him in a sweet tone, her stare at him hardening as she stated in a serious voice, "It's right here."

"Excuse me?"

"You're the kidnapper," (Y/n) gestured around the taxi aimlessly, "and this taxi is where the kidnappings are taking place."

"Uh... I don't think I'm following you, Detective. What are you saying?"

"I mean, where better to kidnap someone than some place they feel comfortable with a complete stranger? Here of course." (Y/n) then pointed around the car. "You used sleeping gas on the victims to kidnap, wearing a gas mask yourself, of course."

"Wait... No, no, no. Hold on. I'm pretty sure the investigation indicated that the victims all left on their own accord, by themselves, and mysteriously disappeared. I heard there were no records of them ever getting into any vehicle or going inside any building. If all the victims got into this taxi, then wouldn't there be a record of a phone call or them hailing a cab?"

"Yes, there would be," Kunikida added. "And that's why there is no doubt in my mind that every victim got into this taxi. Of course, the city police weren't able to find any records no matter hard they looked. Why? Because they were looking at the wrong date. The victims didn't get in this taxi on the day they went missing."

The taxi driver started to look very nervous as they continued to explain. "What... What are you trying to say?"

Dazai cut in, speeding up the explanation as he told the entire story and went into detail about the case and their solution. (Y/n) watched as Dazai carefully explained everything, her mouth parting slightly as she was impressed by it.

That was... amazing, (Y/n) thought after Dazai finally finished. Dazai quickly locked eyes with her, as if to silently tell her "I know you liked that".

Kunikida pinched one of the crevices on the interior of the car, pulling his fingertips back and saying, "If you're going to turn yourself in, you should probably do it quickly. It won't be long until we have evidence. I'm sure you cleaned the inside of this car, but there's still some residue from the gas. A lab analysis will confirm in no time."