chapter sixteen.

(Y/n) walked down the street, her hands stuffed in her jacket pockets as she left the building the Armed Detective Agency was stationed in. She had a duffle bag over her shoulder, filled with a change of clothes and other gym necessities.

Kunikida's words replayed over and over again in her head like a broken record. Despite everything she tried to get them to silence or even quiet just a little bit, didn't work. She even attempted to try and think about the incident a year prior just to get his awful response out of her mind.

"Alright, then (Y/n) (L/n)," Kunikida stated in a serious tone, "you're off the case. You're done."

Dazai stared at Kunikida with wide eyes, Yosano doing the same after remaining silent throughout the entire interaction. (Y/n) stared down at her legs and the bed, getting up after a minute.

She began to walk towards the door, saying before she opened it to leave, "If that's what you believe is best for the case. I respect your decision, Kunikida."

Dazai walked over to her, grabbing her arm as he said, "(Y/n)... You can't be serious. After everything we've gone through for this case, you're just going to leave it like that?"

"I'm not going to subject myself to something I won't ever do again, especially if it puts a good chunk of Yokohama at risk." (Y/n) sighed, turning back to Dazai as she looked down at her gripped arm and to him. "Go get this bomber and the bomb, Dazai. I'm not going to be helpful from here on out. I'm sorry."

With that, (Y/n) tugged her arm out of Dazai's grip and left.

(Y/n) continued to walk down the street, rounding one of the corners as she neared a familiar area. She thought, I feel bad about having to get kicked off the case by Kunikida, but it's for the best in the end. I won't be any use if we're going undercover—not after what happened with that bastard, Fujinuma. I hope they get what they're looking for.

She entered the gym, walking back to the locker room and changing into a pair of leggings and a t-shirt. She pulled her hair into an up-do and grabbed her phone and water bottle, leaving to go out into the workout area to possibly get in some exercises for the next case once this bomb problem was solved.

(Y/n) wrapped her knuckles, starting her workout against a punching bag, kicking and hitting it to sweat out some of the stress she was feeling. That was until she heard a familiar, kind voice call out her name.

"(Y/n)? Is that you?" (Y/n) turned towards the voice, her workout buddy, Hinami, standing with a bag and a large water bottle. "I haven't seen you in forever! Where have you been?"

(Y/n) pulled her hands away from the bag, messing with the ties as she fully turned towards her friend. With a somewhat forced smile, she greeted, "Hey Hinami, I've just been really busy with work lately."

"Yeah, I saw what happened in the newspapers," Hinami responded, walking up to (Y/n). "Are you okay? It seems like you've been going through a lot lately."

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me." This was obviously a lie.

Hinami eyed (Y/n) up and down for a moment, breaking out into a smile as she shrugged. "Okay! Well, let me change and maybe we can spar a couple rounds?"

(Y/n) nodded, letting out a sigh as she said, "That sounds great."

"