Chapter 4

If Bin would rank his fears, having a family member get seriously sick would probably be the topmost. Having Yejin fall ill, would be his downfall. Of course, he tried calling her soon after he talked to his daughter but predictably, she did not answer. Fearing the worst, Bin rushed to her house, one she says reflected everything about her.

Her house is located in a hillside development on a modestly affluent part of the city. Bin signed away his share in their former house as part of the settlement after their divorce. To be fair, Yejin initially refused it but he insisted as he wanted her to not have to worry about leaving their home. When she decided to sell that house, Bin was initially against it but then it was Yejin's to decide on and whatever made her happy, will make him feel at peace.

Bin parked his car in front of the closed garage walked on to the stairs leading to the front door

Bin parked his car in front of the closed garage walked on to the stairs leading to the front door. The multi level house looked airy, open with clean lines. The main entrance was up a flight of stairs but there was a side entrance where he usually goes in, of course with Yejin's permission. He was quite surprised when she handed him keys to the house and just told him to hold on to it, in case of emergency. After waiting out front for 10 minutes, he knew he had to count this as an 'emergency', especially when Yejin wasn't answering. He then went down, walked to the side of the house towards the door opening into the garage and used his spare key. He saw her car inside and let himself in the adjacent laundry room, took off his shoes and went up the main house.

Calling out her name as he went from room to room, Bin increasingly felt nervous. When he opened her bedroom, he had to adjust to the dim lighting and saw her on the bed sleeping. Her bedside was in disarray, with water, some tablets, used tissue and a bunch of papers strewn on the floor. She was lying by her side, facing the window, half of her face hidden by a pillow and her small frame covered by a blanket. Even in this view, he noticed that she lost a lot of weight. Unable to help himself, Bin went to the other side of the bed and lay down facing her. He slowly inched his hands up and touched her face gently. There were tear marks down her cheeks which he traced. A surge of protectiveness welled in him.

Yejin opened her eyes and saw him, "Bin? What are you doing here?"

"I was worried about you. What is going on?" He asked, his deep voice soothing her further.

Yejin suddenly sobbed, simply falling apart showing her fragile state. The last time he saw her like this was... Bin tried to drive those thoughts from his mind. He knew that Yejin needed him now and he had to put those ghosts aside for the moment.

"Ssssshhh...it's going to be okay. I'm here, I'll fix it." Bin said reaching for her and hugging her.

She sobbed even louder and Bin held her tighter. He was close to tears as well. Despite his determination to keep it together, it took all his strength to keep his feelings under wraps. "Please tell me what's wrong.." He wanted her to open up to him.

Yejin loosened her hold and looked at him. "I have cancer"

Even if he knew from what his daughter told him, the impact of hearing the words was still heartbreaking.

"Is it confirmed?" Bin asked, wanting to get to the facts first.

"I did all the tests already. Hodgkin's lymphoma. Started chemo few weeks ago. I'm on my 2nd cycle as we speak and have to go back to the hospital this whole week."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm not your responsibility anymore, Bin."

"You are not a responsibility Jinnie. You are my family. Even after..." Bin paused. "...not even our divorce can make me care less about you. So stop this nonsense okay? I'm here and I'll be here, whether you like it or not."

Bin realized that everything that seemed to matter in his life right now simply fell away and what was left is this one thing in front of him.

Yejin.

"Did you tell your parents? your sister?"

"They're visiting Minji in America right now, probably spending a few months more with her. I don't want them to quickly rush to my side and cut their trip short.." Yejin answered.

"And Gil?" Bin reluctantly added.

"We broke up. He doesn't want to be a part of this." Yejin answered.

Bin silently cursed at Gil. He actually doesn't mind having him gone but the idea of how he rejected Yejin made him want to punch him in the face.

"I'm here. I'm not going anywhere until you're better Jinnie. "

"But..."

"Let me okay? We are going to go through this. We'll do it together."

She clung to him, buried her face in her chest and after a while, her tears slowly ebbed to a quieter pace until she fell asleep. The only noise in the room was the drone of the aircon and her soft even breathing.

It was only then that Bin allowed all his fears to surface. He will not lose Yejin this way. He won't allow it. And yet, he knew from experience that there were things beyond his control. A wave of helplessness swept him and he felt a dam broke, as he sobbed silently, praying that if there is a God, to please let Yejin live.