Chapter 5

Yejin woke up to the steady sound of the rain just outside her window. She was in her bed but with Bin's arms wrapped around her. Just like how they used to before. The feeling of safety and comfort, both familiar and strange. She practically grew up protected by Bin, who once was the boy that she first cared for as a friend and then, fell deeply in love with. Later, after 10 years of marriage and two kids between them, things got more complicated and as marriages sometimes unfold, love simply couldn't hold them together.

Deciding to linger in Bin's cocoon just for a little while, Yejin allowed herself to remember the first time they met.

"Hyun Bin, partner up with Son Ye Jin..." Their literature professor was assigning teams for the project for the semester and she vaguely heard the name called out. Her head too preoccupied with the incident at home. Too many scenes playing out in the same way for far too many times, and yet, here she was, still reeling as if it was something fresh. Last night was not particularly bad. Her father, as usual, came home from a late night out with a client, drunk as a skunk, raised a ruckus at home because Happy (who was but a puppy) was barking too loud. Her mother was scrambling to quiet the dog while preparing food for him. MInji, her older sister, was in her room and Yejin happened to need something in the living room when her father arrived. She quietly stayed in the shadows, afraid that if she made her presence felt, he would find something to fault her with.

"Son Yejin ssi? " Looking up, she smiled and nodded her head to the boy who later introduced himself as Hyun Bin. Of course she knew who he was, he was one of those athlete students and usually hung out with the cool kids. He was certainly good looking but Yejin was just not there yet. She had academics to prioritize, the school paper which she just recently joined (features writer!) and her secret project (she started writing her first book).

That term, Bin became a constant presence in her life. Their friendship took off naturally. He would usually wait for her after class and chat for a bit before running off to go to his friends or baseball practice. She found his voice and easy nature calming, and she allowed him to hover around her.

"Don't go out in the field today, it's too hot out Jinnie. Just be in the library, okay?"

"Aigo, Jinnie! You left your water bottle again. Here's mine, I'll just get one from the training coach."

"What's your last period, Jinnie? I'll wait out for you, don't go home yet."

She knew that their friendship baffled a lot of people. They didn't quite hang out a lot that first year of knowing each other but they'd often walk together or Bin would meet up with her randomly. She looked forward to how they teased each other as both of them were competitive.

"Bin, you are so bad for me! Why do we have to see who finishes 3 gimbaps the fastest?"

He was always worried she wasn't eating enough because of school work and would usually do these stupid challenges to get her to eat more. Yejin was a willing victim though. He simply made her smile and she definitely needed that in her life.

Yejin heard some movement outside of the room and softly nudged Bin awake.

"The kids are back" She whispered. Bin kissed her forehead and was about to shift positions when Mi Cha (followed by Joon) opened the door. Looking at each other, and understanding what they have to do, they sat up from lying down and still holding Yejin's hand called on the kids to join them in bed.

"Mom has something to tell you.." He looked at Yejin and nodded.

Feeling a little bit braver and a little less scared, she started to tell the kids about her diagnosis, including her doctor's optimism about being in the early stage and that she will most probably survive it. She apologized about keeping it from them and said that she just didn't want them to worry about her especially because they had to concentrate in school.

"Are you sure you're not going to die Eomma?" Joon said hugging her while sitting in her lap.

"I will definitely not die and nag you about not having a girlfriend until you are thirty!" She said keeping down the knot on her throat.

She glanced at Mi Cha who was by the side of Bin. Yejin always thought that Mi Cha was a little bit too much like her - kept things inside often. She was definitely keeping herself from crying too hard.

"Mi Cha baby, I'm so sorry you have to see mommy that way. It must have been scary for you to witness me vomiting like that. I will do my best to not keep things from you from now on okay?"

"It's okay Eomma. It's not that... it's this..." Mi Cha gently touched her arm and for the first time, Yejin saw that she really lost too much weight. Her wrist bones were now more prominent and when she glanced in the mirror by the wall, she saw how hollow her cheeks were already.

Bin touched her daughter's back, comforting her and silently pleaded with Yejin, "I have to agree with Mi Cha on this Jinnie. You have to take better care of yourself. You've lost a lot of weight. If you haven't avoided me, I would've noticed it sooner. Don't skip your meals, and please just try to take in something even if you don't have any appetite."

Yejin nodded. "I promise okay?" She said smiling at her daughter and at Bin.

"You leave me no choice. I will be moving in. There will be no argument about this. It is not up for debate anymore." Bin said firmly. Yejin frowned and was about to say something, when Bin further said..

"You cannot possibly take care of yourself alone Jinnie. I'll be here starting today. I'll bring you to your treatment, take care of the kids and the house. You will not do anything else except to get better. That is your only job. Leave the rest to me."

"I agree Eomma, I want dad here." Mi Cha pleaded.

"Me too.." Joon added, still clinging to his mother.

Yejin took a deep breath and accepted that she was outnumbered.

___________________________

Post Script:  Thank you for all the appreciation!  Sorry if I'm not able to reply back to each one of you.  It doesn't diminish my gratitude for spending time to read this story.