࿔ ellie imagine.

ㅤㅤ✹⠀˖

𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻: this was requested a little while ago; ellie invites you to movie night at joel's where he plays the "protective dad" and interrogates the reader, much to ellie's embarrassment. kinda sucks, i'm sorry </3

It's not often you find yourself in the position you're in, at least not with Ellie. No, this never happened before. Not in the few months you'd been dating her; she was always too nervous to invite you over to Joel's, as her girlfriend, but here you were, standing outside his home with footsteps approaching the door.

You're shuffling from foot to foot, anxiously wringing your hands together while you wait. It's taken Ellie a while to come out to her father figure, much less invite a girl over as anything other than a friend for movie night. But she thought it was time: time for you to stop thinking she was ashamed of your relationship, time for Joel to know you as more than her friend and time for her to allow herself that happiness of knowing your relationship was out there.

Your balled fist reaches to the door to knock once again, thinking maybe they hadn't heard the first one, but before you can the door opens. In the doorway is the man himself, the one you're nervous to see. You've never really met the parents of your past significant others, it was all on the down low. And it's not like you haven't met Joel before, on the contrary, you'd been on patrol with him a couple times when Tommy was sick or Ellie invited you over. But this would be the first time he knew you were dating Ellie.

The man leans on the doorway, green sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a mug in one hand. "Evenin', Y/N." He greets, stepping aside to let you inside the home. "Ellie ain't here yet, had to help Maria with some odd job."

You're nodding casually, following him to the living room just on the right side of the home entrance. Your favorite part about Joel's house was how homely it was, it seemed so cozy. His bookshelves were stocked full of books, movies and little carvings and trinkets he'd found or made. You take a seat on the couch, pulling your leg up to prop your arm on. To your right there's a dream catcher on the lamp table, you carefully pick it up for examination.

"You know I was just messing around when I asked you to make this." You smile, holding it up for him to see when he enters from the kitchen. It had been something you briefly mentioned the last time you saw him, you wanted one for your room after seeing the one on his wall. It seemed silly to think about when he told you what they were for - catching nightmares - but they seemed pretty neat.

Joel chuckles, taking a seat on the opposite end of the couch. He's fiddling with his coffee mug, swirling the dark, murky liquid around while steam emits from the top. "It was the least I could do." He shrugs, taking a sip of the bitter drink.

After a few minutes, the sound of the front door opening has both of your heads turning to see the newcomer. It's only Ellie, rushing inside the home with her jacket barely hanging from her shoulders and a movie in hand. "I'm here!" She calls, jogging over to the dvd player on an old television stand. Once the movie is in and the television begins loading a play screen she settles in next to you, propping her arm on your shoulder. "What'd I miss?"

Somewhere around thirty minutes into the first movie, Ellie and Joel had begun chatting about something the characters were planning. Something to do with a drug bust, the detectives needed to go undercover.

"So, Y/N." Joel begins, earning a pleading look from Ellie. A coy smile rests on his features as he turns to look at you. "What are your intentions for Ellie here?"

You startle at his question, so much so that you choke on the spare honey candies Dina shared with you on patrol. Ellie pats your back while you regain your composure, clearing your throat with a huff. "We're just dating, Joel. You know I'm always watching out for her in the best way possible."

Ellie's cheeks burn in embarrassment at what's happening here, she knew he was going to spring these questions on you just to mess with you both. It was such a Joel thing to do to her for thinking he'd see her differently if she opened up to him about her sexuality. Which, he didn't, he was absolutely fine with it. It was just funny to mess with Ellie.

Joel hums in acknowledgment to your words, focusing on the movie again. Ellie's hand squeezes yours from underneath the blanket draped over your laps, muttering under her breath about something you couldn't quite make out. "Plannin' any long term goals?" He questions, just as your rapid pulse had begun to slow down.

You chuckle at his words, trying to maintain your calm demeanor. You loved Joel, he was always kind to you, but right now the man had you extremely nervous. You'd been told some things about his past, nothing major of course, just some details. Joel Miller was not someone you wanted to irritate, especially not over Ellie. "Maybe." You reply, careful with your answer. Would it sound too forward if you said you wanted to stay with her for a good while - from now on, even? You weren't sure.

This proceeds for a few minutes, Joel asking questions just to pick at you and you responding shyly each time. Ellie's shifted so now her arm is draped over your shoulders but she never initiates too much touch, it just wasn't in her nature for PDA.

He stands abruptly, right as the detective in the movie does, and walks towards the hallway. "Gonna grab some more coffee, you two behave."

As soon as he's gone, you turn to Ellie, eyes wide with nerves. "He loves me as your friend but he's gonna kick my ass as your girlfriend? I'm gonna shit myself before the night is over. Oh god." You're half joking, half serious. You don't need the approval but it would be nice to know Joel doesn't mind you around more often. In a less friendly way.

Ellie laughs, cheeks flushed with rosy red from embarrassment. "He's just messing with you, babe." She insists, looking over her shoulder for a moment before turning back to you to plant a kiss on your cheek. "It's fine, you know he likes you."

By the time the movie is over, Joel's asked you a million different questions, each becoming more bizarre than the last. You notice the way he struggles to not laugh at some of them, he's messing with you, you conclude, but you still try to answer. Ellie's flushed with embarrassment for herself and you, mostly terrified you'll never want to step foot near the house again.

"Goodnight, I love you." You smile, pressing your lips to her own for a moment. It's soft, delicate and messy from your sleepy state. "See you tomorrow, tell Joel thank you for the dream catcher again."

Ellie smiles at you, holding you close in her arms for just a minute. You always enjoy these moments wrapped in her hold, the scent of pine and something you can't ever particularly name flooding your senses. It was everything of Ellie, calming your nerves and enveloping your sleepy mind with bliss. She leans down to peck your lips one last time, an attempt to savor the moment before you head home.

However, the porch light flickers on and off twice, a muffled chuckle from inside the house. You sigh, looking over at the window where Joel had surely peaked from. "It's only nine o'clock, sir!" You call, waving at the window. "Just give me a second to serenade my lady!"

Ellie can't help the smile crawling over her lips at your playful words. "I'm sorry about all of that, he was just messing with you." She moves her hands down your jacket, zipping the clothing up to provide you with extra warmth. "I wish I could walk you home."

"It's fine, I know he was." You tell her, palm resting on her cheek. "You get some sleep, I'll see you tomorrow."

You turn on a heel to leave, sliding down the stairs with ease. It's only a moment before you turn back around, a smile on your face. "Ask Joel if I have you back by nine can we go out tomorrow?"

Laughter escapes both of you, knowing that was entirely a lie. You were never home before midnight, and you wouldn't need to ask for permission. This was entirely Joel being funny.

Ellie scrunches her brows in thought, sighing. "I dunno, probably eight thirty for the old man."

.᯽

˖ dunno how i feel about this one.

˖ you guys want a tommy or abby requested piece next? they're both v nice requests, tommy's is angst. abby's is soft sap.

࿔ rhae ♡