Chapter 5

On the way home, Lisa felt like she was simultaneously floating with happiness and in the midst of a panic attack. The panic had come on when she was walking down the street back to the subway and she remembered that she hadn't brought anyone to games night before, and that showing up with someone as famous as Jennie Kim was going to put the cat among the pigeons, to say the least. She had no idea how her friends were going to react, had no idea which kind of games Jennie liked or played, or which flavor of ice cream would be Jennie's favorite.

She couldn't do anything about which games Hanbin had at his apartment, so that would be a shot in the dark, but she could at least try something about the ice cream. Pulling her cell out of her pocket, she groaned at how red the battery icon was, dug around in her bag until she found her portable charger, and plugged it in. By the time she arrived at the 7/11 near her home, the cell was usable again.

Stopping short of the door, Lisa saw the missed call notification, and quickly saved the number under just Jennie, just in case someone got hold of her cell at some point. Suddenly feeling paranoid, her fingers flew over her settings as she changed her passcode and made it extra-complicated, hoping that she would remember it later. And then she froze.

What, exactly, did someone type in a damn text message to Jennie Kim?

Recalling some of the last words Jennie had said to her, reminding her that she was just a person, she was immediately irritated at herself, and made her mind up on the spot; Jennie would be treated just the same as anyone else in her life. And that meant that she deserved all of the emojis. Opening the messaging app, she located Jennie in her contact list (and refused to acknowledge the frisson of excitement that ran through her as she saw her name) and started to type.

Lisa: Hey Jennie, this is Lisa, the one who spilled the coffee on you!!! Just wanted to send over the details about tonight, I'll put Hanbin's address in the next message. I'll meet you outside at 7:15pm and I hope this is really your number otherwise there will be a total stranger coming to games night and Hanbin will be really itchy and Rosé will have to take them out lol

Ending it with a slew of various happy face emojis, she sent it off, and then sent Hanbin's address.

Lisa: Oh I forgot, what kind of ice cream do you like?!?!?! I'm just about to go buy it! Unless you don't like it. In which case I'm sure I can find some tea that's better than Daniel's

She turned her cell off silent so that she could hear any notifications, shoved it back out of sight, and then headed into the store. By the time she'd reached the frozen section, she'd already taken her cell back out twice, just to check if there were any replies. You're really lame, Lisa Manoban, she thought to herself as she opened the freezer door and started grabbing ice cream. They now needed six different flavors, if she included Jennie, so she filled her basket with one of each Ben & Jerry's flavor that they had. She ended up with eleven tubs of ice cream instead of six, but you could never have too much ice cream anyway.

Lisa picked up a few other snacks on her way to the checkout, and was just deciding that both was the best solution to the jelly babies versus Jolly Ranchers debate when her cell dinged in her pocket. She almost dropped the basket in her haste to yank her cell out of her pocket, and grinned from ear to ear when she saw Jennie's name on the screen.

Jennie: Hi, Lisa. Yes, this is the right phone number. I'll see you at 7:15. In the event of a zombie apocalypse occurring in the next few hours, assume that my absence is due to that and not my driver getting stuck in traffic. Also, I like anything with chocolate in it