Chapter 7

Tuesday was Lisa's day off work, which was lucky, because she had a lot of energy and thoughts she needed to burn off before she spent any part of today doing anything productive. Rosé had headed off not long after Lisa had arrived home last night to cover a few hours at the hospital due to a colleague having to head up to the maternity ward where his wife was giving birth early.

Which meant that Lisa could turn up her music as loud as she wanted without bothering Rosé.

Which also meant that Lisa spent half an hour ducking and weaving around the new boxing bag, landing punch after punch, and if she happened to occasionally picture Jeongyeon's face on the bag as she threw her fists around, what of it? It's not like she was going to do it for real.

Once her arms felt like they were too jellied out to punch the bag anymore, she hit the stair climber, and then, she ran. She ran, and ran, and ran, until the sweat was pouring down her face, her feet pounding the treadmill to the beat of whatever song happened to blast out of her iPod sound deck. Currently she was listening to Halestorm, which Rosé must've put on there, which is perhaps why she didn't hear Rosé shouting her name until the song ended.

Startled, Lisa jumped and set her feet on the side of the treadmill, turning around to look at Rosé, who turned the music down and rolled her eyes.

"Can you hear me? Or have you gone deaf from the volume you've had this at?" Rosé asked.

"Sorry, I was just in the zone, you know?" Lisa replied, waving her arm vaguely at the machines around her.

"It's 11am," Rosé stated flatly. "I've been home for over an hour, and I know you like to start early, and," she added, her voice rising, "I know you run when you're either pissed off or upset." Rosé folded her arms. "Which is it?"

Lisa blew out a breath and hopped off the treadmill, grabbed her gym towel, and wiped her face and arms with it before looking up and meeting Rosé's eyes.

"Can we go get pancakes?" she asked in a hopeful voice.

"Sure."

-----

After Lisa had a very hot shower, she and Rosé headed out and down the block until they arrived at one of Hyori's diners, the one at which Lisa had suggested they specialize in serving all-day breakfasts due to the amount of small offices that seemed to be taking up residence in the flats all around them. It had seemed to work, because the diner did a roaring trade. It turned out that essentially everybody loved pancakes, fried food, and waffles no matter what time of day it was.

As they entered, Lisa waved at the waitress Grace, who was standing behind the bar and gossiping with William, one of the chefs. William was hopelessly in love with Grace, who either hadn't noticed or was happy to continue flirting with him without taking it to the next level. Rosé thought that Grace was stringing him along, but privately, Lisa thought that she was just actually very shy. Grace waved back and indicated the corner booth next to the window overlooking the street, which was Rosé's favorite spot.

Lisa slid into the booth, grinning at Rosé who insisted on wiping the table free of the almost invisible crumbs that nobody but Rosé would've noticed. Maybe Jennie would've. Damn. Not right now.

Grace came over to take their order (two maple-syrup covered waffles for Rosé, two large stacks of maple-syrup covered pancakes for Lisa, along with a large Oreo milkshake, and a waffle with chocolate ice cream for dessert). Rosé, long-since used to Lisa's voracious appetite, didn't even pretend to be shocked or nauseated any more.