Chapter 6: I Need You

Only hours had passed since Clementine had left, yet it felt like days. I spent almost the entire night in my room regretting every decision I didn't make. Not questioning the twin's disappearance more, trusting Marlon so blindly when he told us they were killed, not telling Brody I don't hate her before she died, not stopping Clementine from walking out that gate.. I felt like such a failure. Like I let everyone I ever cared about slip away. As if I was fucking cursed to lose anyone I dare to say I loved. I finally get a fucking shred of happiness after years of pain from losing Minnie, and that source of happiness just walked right out the fucking door. And I let her walk out. I let her walk away without even trying to fight. I put my head down on my knees, feeling the tears fall onto my jeans. "Vi?" I hear Louis call from outside my door. "Fuck off." I mumble, feeling embarrassed that I'm even reacting like this to begin with. I hated whenever people saw me crying, and yet here I was breaking down like a kid over this. "Violet I-" I cut him off before he can finish. I sat up just enough for him to hear me as I shouted. "I said fuck off Louis! Leave me alone!" I snap before laying my head back on my knees. I could hear Ruby mumbling something behind him, before the footsteps began to go down the hallway. I laid down on the bed, covering my face in the pillow as I desperately tried to calm down. I hate crying like this, being so sensitive and vulnerable. I hated it even more knowing Louis and probably everyone else saw it too.

Clementine leaving made me think a lot about things, especially about how I felt around her. I felt like such an idiot for not noticing it sooner. 'She makes me feel things I haven't felt since I lost Minnie.' I mean come on Violet are you that fucking oblivious? The thought had hit me that maybe that's why I was so upset, the irony of her leaving right as I discover my feelings for her. I hate it, I hate all of it. I miss her, I just want to see her walk back through those gates and it shatters me knowing that's not going to happen.

Clementine's POV
I could tell AJ was devastated, it was killing me seeing him look so sad and lonely. He always used to talk about how he wanted to meet people his age and find good people. It's all he really wanted and now he has to say goodbye to it. I push him on the tire swing of the train station that has now been abandoned by both raiders and walkers. I can't help but keep glancing over at the totaled car in the distance. I hated thinking about it, how that crash had gone from the worst setback we could have to the best thing that's ever happened to us. Thinking about it caused a pain in my stomach. I felt like such a bitch for how I treated Violet when we left, especially since I miss her so fucking bad. I didn't know what else to do, I wanted to prove a point to Louis so badly that I ended up basically shoving her off in the process. The thought of that making her hate me, making her not miss me, it brought back a pain I hadn't felt in a long time. I wish I would've said goodbye to her. I wish I could told her I wasn't mad at her. I wish I could just see her again...

"Clem, I want to go back." AJ says softly as I gently push him. "I know goofball, me too." I respond, hating the hint of sadness in my voice. I was supposed to be strong for AJ, and yet here I was moping about a girl I had barely known for three days. It was so ridiculous, how quickly I seemed to get attached to her. There's a silence for a moment before I sigh and walk in front of the swing, kneeling down. "We need to keep moving. Let's try to find another car and make our way south." We had to move on, we couldn't just keep sitting here as if waiting for something to happen. We were one our own again and now it's back to our original plan. We just have to keep moving and stay alive. Just like Lee and Kenny always used to tell me. Keep moving, stay alive. I thought back on Kenny's plan to go to Florida. It was the original plan I had before all of this had happened. "I hate the car." AJ mumbles as he makes more excuses as to why he can't go. He had been making excuses like that since we left the school, anything to try and get us to go back.

A car was a dream at this point anyway. We got lucky with the last one, most are either siphoned for gas or in no condition to run at all. Our options were limited, and we were running out of daylight. I open my mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by the sound of rustling in the bushes. In a panic I grab AJ and try to run to a hiding spot, or at least cover if they fire. I wasn't quick enough though as a group of people surround us and block off any chance we have of escape. One of them I recognize from the train station incident. "Well well, look who showed up boys." The man from earlier says with a smile. "Leave us the fuck alone, there's no more food here." I snapped at the man, holding AJ behind me protectively to keep any of these bastards from touching him. "We know, we checked. Where's the rest of your group?" The man asks as I glare him down. "They're gone, they aren't coming back." The four men surround us, guns pointed from every direction. "Well, that's a shame. Truth be told we've gotten some good hands from that group of brats. After that food incident though, you'll do fine." The man says as another grabs AJ's arm. "AJ! Get the fuck away from him!" I yell trying to get to him before a pistol hits me across the face. "You better think twice before you pull some shit like that again." The man who hits me says as he helps me to my feet. I try to think, there's gotta be a way out of this. "Let's go Abel. I wanna get this shit over with." The man says as we begin to walk. "We'll go back for the rest of them once we get these ones locked up." Abel says as he drags AJ and I into the woods. AJ continues to struggle, I try to stop him but before I could get the chance he breaks free from the man's grip. The other panics and points his gun at AJ. I felt my blood run cold as I saw the gun pointed in his direction. "No!" I scream as I kick Abel's knee out behind me to make him let go. I quickly run in front of AJ as the man fires. I could feel a burning pain that seemed to hit me all at once, like an intense wave. "Clem!" I hear AJ yell as I fall to the ground. The burning feeling in my stomach only seemed to get worse as my vision blurred, sounds slowly growing muffled. "Clem! You gotta get up!" AJ's voice sounded as if it was miles away as my vision slowly faded to black.