Chapter 7: Because You're Here

"You sure you don't want to go patrol with me Violet?" AJ asks, spinning the cylinder in his revolver as he checks how many bullets he had left. I had spent the past three days comforting him, but now it seems like he needs to keep comforting me. "Alright, maybe it will take my mind off things." I say slightly gripping Clem's hand. AJ walks over and sits next to me on the bed. "I miss her too. But like you said, Clem won't give up on us." I turn to AJ and smile, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Yeah, she is a pretty badass bitch." I say with a small smile. I feel Clem's hand grip mine tighter, and I turn and look over at her. I was hoping so badly that I hadn't imagined it or something. She stirs for a minute before a small smile crosses her face and her beautiful amber eyes slowly open and lock with mine. "Badass bitch? Violet, you flatter me." Clem says with a very weak and raspy tone. But it didn't matter, she was awake. She was awake and she was smiling up at us. "You're okay!" AJ yells hugging her, trying his best to make sure he doesn't hurt her. Clem hugs him back and smiles before looking at me from over his shoulder. "You just gonna stare at me?" She teases with a smile. I hadn't even noticed I was just staring until she said something. AJ backed away at this, and I quickly take his spot. I hugged Clem a little tighter than I intended to, trying not to put my weight on her stomach. Clem seemed surprised at first before she hugged me back. "I'm so glad you're okay. I thought I was gonna lose you again." I say softly as I laid my head on Clem's shoulder, enjoying the warmth of her embrace. "You think I'd go down that easy? I've been surviving this shit too long to end it here." She says with this confident tone in her voice as she pulls away and smiles up at me. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you again." Clem says softly, her smile bringing back the warm feeling in my chest that had felt lost ever since she had left.

AJ clears his throat and I back away from Clem before looking over to him. "I'll go let everyone know you're awake." I say standing up and walking over to AJ, kneeling in front of him. "Alright little man, it's your turn to protect her. I'm counting on you to keep an eye on her, got that?" I say with a smirk. AJ stands up straight and gives me a salute. "Yes ma'am!" He says with a smile before running over to sit on the bed next to Clem. She was looking over at me with a sweet smile, I turn to walk out of the room feeling an embarrassing red blush spread up to my ears. 

Clementine's POV
Watching Violet joke with AJ like that made me smile, I loved seeing how her tough girl exterior faded away when she was messing around with AJ. It made me happy to know that AJ had someone who was there for him while I was knocked out. I was so happy to just see Violet's face, I never thought I would get the chance to see it again. The memory of what happened slowly started flooding back to me as the pain finally hit me. I wince as I grab my stomach. AJ looked at me with a look of concern. "I'm alright goofball, just a little sore. How long was I out?" I ask, AJ leans back on one hand while playing with his revolver in the other. "Four days, Violet insisted on checking on you every day." He says with this teasing tone in his voice. That warm feeling I felt on my face from before came rushing back. I was starting to wonder if it really was a fever, it only seemed to happen whenever I was around Violet or someone mentioned her name. I remember a similar feeling from when I met Gabe, but this was different. This was much worse to the point it was physically getting to me. I get these weird butterflies in my stomach whenever she looks at me and I feel like I can't breathe. I have to try to not stumble on my words. This fuzzy feeling in my chest making it hard to speak. Whenever she is hurt or in danger I just, go crazy. Like I would do anything to keep her safe. Is this what it feels like to genuinely be in love with someone? It was moments like this I wish Lee was still here. I wish I could just talk to him and get his advice on what to do. "Well, that was nice of her. What about you?" I ask trying to get my mind off of the green eyed girl that seems to plague my every damn thought. "I was worried Clem, I was scared you were gonna die." AJ says with this look of concern. I smile and ruffle his hair, definitely feeling the pain from lifting my arm like that. "You know I wouldn't leave you alone like that." I say, but AJ doesn't seem to brighten up from my joking around.