Chapter 9: Promise Me

Violet's POV
     I couldn't move, everyone's voices just felt like a blur as I stared at the large bite that had ripped out a chunk of Clem's arm. "Violet, get away from me." Clem says quietly as she holds her arm. "No! There's got to be something we can do!" I finally shout, breaking free of whatever force seemed to be holding me back. "Violet she is going to turn!" Louis yells as he grabs my arms and tries dragging me back. "No! Louis let me go! Let me fucking go!" I scream, kicking and trying to break out of his grip. Clem looked so pale, her amber eyes had glossed over and her clothes were soaked in blood. The sight alone sent a physical pain through my body. Ruby began to slowly walk towards Clementine as she loaded AJ's revolver. Once I see the light reflect off the pistol, I desperately try to struggle out of Louis' grip. "Ruby no!!" I scream, dropping to my knees as I continue to struggle. No matter how much of my strength I used I couldn't seem to break out of Louis' grip. I was forced to sit there and watch it happen, like when Clementine had left. "I fucking need her! I love her! You can't take her from me!" I continue to struggle, but I can't seem to move. Ruby holds the gun out, pointed right at Clem's head. "No! Ruby Don't-!"

     I sit up as the sound of the gunshot goes off, looking around the dark room as I struggle to breathe. It was just a dream, a really bad fucking dream. I put my hand to my chest and try to slow my breathing, my heart felt like it was fucking beating out of my chest. I jump at the sound of someone knocking on my door. "Come in." I say quietly, the door slowly opening and Clem stepping through. "Hey, you okay? I heard a lot of noise from down the hall and-" Clem stops as she looks at me. I was trying to wipe the tears off my face, only making the puffiness around my eyes worse. "Are you crying?" She asks concerned, walking over and sitting on the edge of the bed. "It was just a bad dream." I whisper softly, feeling my face flush red in embarrassment. "Do you want to talk about it?" Clem says softly, she was looking at me with a small comforting smile. I hesitate for a moment, bringing my knees up to my chest and hugging them close. "You- You got bit. You were turning and I tried to stop it. Ruby took AJ's gun and-" The words seemed to get stuck in my throat, the image of Ruby pulling that trigger flooding back into my head. I couldn't hold back a sob as I grip my legs tighter, laying my head on my knees. I could feel Clem shift on the bed before pulling me towards her gently. I let my legs go, moving my arms around her waist and resting my head on her shoulder. It felt like just so many years of pain and loneliness finally hit its breaking point as I just crumbled. I gripped Clem tighter as I broke down into sobs. Clem had one arm around my waist, her other hand slowly running through my hair.
     I slowly managed to calm down, it was mostly quiet except for the occasional sniffle here and there. "Vi, I'm not going anywhere. I promise." Clementine whispers, moving her hand to my cheek and backing away just enough to look at me. I sigh, closing my eyes and looking down slightly. "You can't promise that, not in a fucked up world like this." I say softly, resisting the next wave of sobs threatening to spill. "I know.." Clem says softly. She pulls away for a moment, before moving both her hands to cup my face softly. I open my eyes to see her looking at me with a gentle smile, her beautiful amber eyes alone giving me a sense of comfort. "I can't promise that we won't get into trouble, or danger. But I can promise that no matter what happens, I'll never stop fighting, I'll never stop trying to find my way back to you." Clem leans forward slightly, resting her forehead against mine. I sigh, moving my hand up to grab Clem's wrist. "I love you Violet." Clem's words caught me off guard, we had talked about how we felt for each other but she hadn't taken it as far to say love yet. "I love you too, Clementine." I say, smiling softly at the sound of it. Clem notices and smiles, leaning forward and connecting her lips to mine. The kiss started slow and gentle, until Clem pulled me on top of her lap. I jump slightly at the suddenness of it, but Clem ignores it and immediately pulls me back into the kiss. I slowly relax back into it, wrapping my arms around her neck and pulling her closer. I pull away slightly, feeling Clem's breath against my lips giving me chills. "Can you stay with me tonight...?" I ask softly as I stare into her intoxicating amber eyes, Clem just smiles and nods. "Of course." I get off Clem's lap and she takes her boots off, tossing them onto the floor beside the bed. Clem climbs under the sheets and lays her head against my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her close. I could feel Clem's breathing on my neck as she fell asleep. I smile, gently kissing her forehead before trying to go back to sleep.