Chapter 13: I Can't Forget You

Violet's POV
I asked Clem to meet me up by the bell tower, I wanted to reassure her that I wanted to be with her and only her. I sat in our usual spot, where we would stargaze, crack jokes together, or just talk and enjoy each other's company. I don't like to admit shit like this often, but I was actually kind of happy that Clem chose coming up here with me over going with Louis. I really hope Louis is okay, as annoying as he is, he really is my best friend. He was one of the few at this stupid school that didn't just label me as a temperamental bitch. He actually really wanted to get to know me and liked who I was as a person, he never asked me to change for anything or anyone. He really has always supported me, and now I just want to return the favor and go save him. "Hey beautiful, you wanted to speak with me alone?" Clem asks with a smile, drawing out the word 'alone' in a teasing tone. "Yes, indeed I do." I say mocking her tone as she sits down next to me. "I just thought you'd like to know that I had a chat with Minerva. Made it very clear I love you and only you." I say looking over at her with a smile. Clem gives me a bright smile before tackling me in a hug, resting her head on my shoulder. "Thank you. If I'm being honest, she was kind of being a bitch to me. She was so insistent that you loved her and that I was just her replacement." Clem says softly as she sits next to me again, still resting her head on my shoulder. "Yeah, that sounds like her." I say wrapping my arm around her and pulling her close. I sigh at the thought of it, I knew Minnie was like that and I ignored it all just because I missed her for reasons that aren't even true anymore.

"I really am sorry Clem. I have known Minnie for years, I do know her better than anyone. And I know she can be very selfish and violent. But I completely ignored it just because I was mourning her for so long, when in reality I needed to just finally let her go." Clem looks up at me with a smile. "It's okay, I know you were just happy to have her back. I just wish she came back for the right reasons." She says, resting her head back down. "What do you mean?" I ask confused, Clem seems shocked for a second before she sits up. "Shit! I never told you. She fucking threatened me in the office." Clem says looking down at the courtyard. "What?!" I ask pissed off, I could feel my blood boiling. I couldn't tell if it was from Minnie lying to me or Minnie treating Clem like that. "It didn't really scare me, not like she could do much being here and not out there." Clem says crossing her arms, but it didn't make me feel better. "And if she does run back to her raider friends, that's just one more person we'll have to show we're not fucking around." She adds with a confident smirk. "Clem? There's something I've been really wanting to ask about that." I say softly, not looking over towards her. "What's up?" She asks, looking at me with a bright smile. "Back at the raid, Louis and I both needed you. But you saved me, why?" I ask, looking over towards her. Clem was looking at me with a sad and guilty look, making me regret my question. "It all happened so fast but- when I saw you getting taken away, something in me just snapped. I was so afraid I was going to lose you, I just fired without thinking. I wanted to save you both I really did, but I couldn't let them take you." She says softly.

It felt like butterflies in my stomach, no one has ever really cared about me as much as Clem does. "Well, while we're talking about things that are bothering us. I got something I want to get off my chest." Clem says quietly, hugging her knees and looking out towards the forest. I nod and move closer next to her, following her gaze out to the trees.

Clementine's POV
I couldn't stop feeling guilty after that nightmare, thinking back to all the death that I caused. All the blood that was on my hands, it scared me to think I was just like Lilly. "Remember that girl Lilly that we talked about?" I ask, turning towards Violet. "You mean the child-snatching bitch from your old group that killed that woman? I think I recall." She teases trying to lighten the mood. I nod and smile softly, looking back out towards the trees. "Well, during the raid she said something to me that's been bothering me. I've been in a lot of groups, met a lot of people I loved very much. Luke, Kenny and his family, AJ's parents Rebecca and Alvin, Lee. Every time it felt like I had a family, and every time it ended in heartache and death. Lee taught me to be a protector, but whenever I look back-" My words seem to get stuck in my throat as I choke back a sob, feeling my voice break as I struggle to talk through the tears.