Steel Heart

The window to Tommy's soul was well and truly open and there was nothing he could do about it. As he lay across his bed, his eyes fluttering close he tried to fight the feeling of sleep but it was useless. Desperate to stay awake where he had control Tommy had tried everything but his brain had fought harder.

It was to late as he stood across the field and watched her make her way over to him, again. Even in his darkest dream he could sense her before he could see her. Rose was beautiful in her red dress and bare feet. It was like being stunned by the first ray of sun.

"Stop" he called "I know who you are"

Rose didn't stop as she walked over towards him, her eyes alive work excitement and she stood before him in her red dress.

"Who am I?" She asked as she reached her hand out and gently touched his chest.

Tommy looked down at her hand and felt nerves rattle beneath his skin but couldn't bring himself to move. It was always the same.

"Who am I?" She repeated softly with sadness as she removed her hand and placed them at her side.

Tommy tried to open his mouth but her name wouldn't grace is vocal chords. Gritting his teeth he tried desperately to speak and saw that she was getting frustrated with his silence.

This was new.

"Why are you trying to kill me?" He hissed as he finally felt his his mental restraints release.

Rose raised an eyebrow before she slowly began to walk away from him. This time he could follow her, he tried to grab her hand but his slipped right through her.

"Just fucking tell me!" He yelled as he rushed around her but she couldn't see him anymore, she was looking straight ahead.

In a last ditch attempt he tried to grab her by her forearms but as his finger slipped through her ghost he jolted back awake. Covered in sweat with ragged breathing he pushed himself up and stared into the black hole or his room.

This was different and new. It was darker and he could still feel the spiral of emotions as she walked away from him. When she made her way over he felt trapped and suffocated but when she had walked away he felt abandoned and lonely.

Tommy pushed his mind to go back to the days of war in search of anything that would explain why a woman he had never met before was haunting him.

--

Tommy had been cautious the following day as he gathered his information. Rose Steele was four years younger than he was, she had lived with an Aunt in Warwickshire to attend a good school and returned when her father had gone to war. There wasn't any solid information on her mother but Tommy knew he would get it soon.

Tommy had never crossed paths with her so he assumed she was a quiet and careful person but to not have crossed paths with his family was rare. The Shelby's knew everyone and made it their business to keep up to date with all the comings and going's of their city.

So how had she escaped?

Rose Steele was beautiful. There was no doubting her physical allure so it was all the more mysterious why nobody was aware of her.

Around midday Tommy had slipped out of his office to the Lee Colton Tights factory that his ghost worked at. The plan was to wait until she came out for her lunch but he refused to wait for his answers.

As he slipped into the building he was instantly recognised by a young teenager who ran off, no doubt to warn Mr Colton of his arrival.

Tommy didn't have to wait long as the familiar face of Lee Colton sheepishly appeared. It was obvious from the grimace on his face that he was worried. A Peaky Blinder visiting your business meant bad news.