Timing

Tommy was told by his doctor that the only damage left was in his eyes, after a while the strain would be to much and a headache would begin so he was given glasses.

Arthur and John thought its was hilarious but he didn't care, the sooner he had them the sooner he could leave. Having been in the hospital four months he was on the verge of losing his grip on reality.

Polly had tried to get Rose to visit but she had avoided the request, telling Polly that under no circumstances would she meet Tommy Shelby, the head of the Peaky Blinders. Polly had confirmed Tommy's worst fear that Rose had no idea why he wanted to speak to her.

It took him a whole month to come to terms with the fact that he would have to do it all again, get to know her. Would she even be the same person?

On the day of his return home he had spent the rest of the afternoon catching up on what his family had been doing. Everything had slowed since his hospitalisation and he knew there was a lot of work to do. There was a vicar who needed wiping off the face of the earth and Russians who needed keeping at bay.

"You look well smart in them Tommy" John said as he swaggered in and dropped a thick wad of cash on the table "Protection money" he said as he took a seat.

Tommy ignored the compliment as he swiped his mouth with a cigarette, trying to remember how much money Polly said was in the safe. It was time he moved out of Small Heath.

"You know this Rose you want to speak to?" John asked as he swiped up a cigarette for himself.

Tommy eyed him quickly, Rose's name was like a jolt to his foggy brain "Yeah what about her?"

John smirked "She's in the pub with her mate Mary-Anne"

"What about Linda?" He asked quickly, remembering the petite brunette who was very opinionated.

"Never heard of her mate" John said lazily as took a drag of his cigarette.

Tommy was suddenly grateful for his brothers approach to this strange situation. John was never one to ask too many questions unlike Arthur.

The lack of Linda meant that there was probably others parts of his dreams with Rose that weren't real. Instead of overthinking it he would find out more for himself when his family weren't watching his every move.

"Well fancy a drink?" Tommy said as he stood up and squashed his cigarette in the ash tray.

--
Tommy and his brother had an unmistakable swagger as they walked down the streets of Small Heath. Adorned Razored blade caps and the smartest suits around.

An excitement was building in Tommy, like a person who was on the verge of unearthing a great treasure. As he pushed the doors open he was greeted with hello's and cheers from people he hadn't seen in months.

Ignoring them he looked around the familiar room for her like he had many times before. A memory of the first time she entered this pub flooded his mind briefly.

In the midst of the noise he heard her sweet laugh from the corner of the room as Chris Blacksmith nestled into her neck, whispering sweet nothings he couldn't here. Mary-Anne was stood at the bar talking to one of his friends and he wondered if they had ever spoke.

Tommy returned his gaze to Chris who placed a kiss on Rose's cheek . In an instant he lost his grip on reality as he walked over, throwing his cap on the table behind them and dragging Chris back.

"What the fuck?" He yelled as Tommy twisted him so that Chris had to face him.

"Tommy?" John said from behind ready to back up his brother.