Haunted

Arthur had waited patiently for Tommy to leave so he could speak to Polly. As soon as he knew he was in the clear he barged into her office in the betting den and made himself at home.

"Arthur shouldn't you be doing something other than using my desk as a foot rest?" She snapped as she pushed his feet off the edge.

"I need to talk to you about our Tommy" he started.

Polly knew this was coming but didn't move a muscle in her face, she carried on counting the cash and placing it into neat piles.

"What about him?"

Arthur slapped his knee, ready to share his information with his Aunt "He's losing his mind Pol over some woman"

Polly's eyes snapped up and she knew that she had given herself away too early.

"What do you know?" Arthur demanded, his big eyes shining with confusion.

Sighing she placed a pile of cash on the table and began lighting up a cigarette. Polly had to be careful not to share to much with Arthur as he had a tendency to overreact.

"I don't know much but I know your brother has some....business with this woman"

Arthur scrunched his face "Business? He doesn't even know her. I had to find out who she was. Every time he sees her he looks like he's having a heart attack"

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it Arthur. You know Tommy, he'll fill us in when he's ready"

"It's just fookin' odd Pol. I ain't never seen him so worked up before especially over some woman"

Polly nodded, it was worse than she expected. Thoughts of doctors and drugs ran through her mind and she wondered just how close it was getting.

If Tommy broke they would all suffer and she couldn't let that happen again.

--

Head low Tommy made his way to Lee Coltons factory with a cigarette in his mouth and steely determination across his face. As soon as he entered the building he didn't bother to wait and moved into the warehouse floor.

The women working on the mills glared over at him but neither her the nerve to hold his gaze. Smirking he let them know that he was unfazed by them all.

Lee Colton's face fell when he turned around in his office to find Tommy making his way over but it didn't bother him. Just as he was about to enter the office Rose stepped out of her shared office and handed her boss a file.

Again she wasn't aware of him as she slipped back into her office and took her seat. Today she was dressed in a deep red skirt with a white blouse, the outfit stirring up deep feelings in his stomach as the colour reminded him of his dreams.

Ignoring her for the time being he entered Mr Colton's office and took off his hat.

"Mr Shelby" Mr Colton greeted him "Can I get you a drink?"

"No thanks" he mumbled as he lit up a cigarette "This won't take long"

The man across from him sighed having already come to terms that his business was going to be taken away from him whether he liked it or not.

"I really don't want to sell Mr Shelby. This business has been in my family for a long time"

Tommy nodded before putting his smoke out in the ash tray on the desk "I don't want to purchase it anymore"

Colton's eyes widened in shock and relief but Tommy wasn't done yet "There's a condition"

"Oh?" He asked as he leaned forward, eager to get this over and done with.