Whispers

They see demon
when I see Angel,
without a halo, a wingless Angel.

Tommy had left his house in a storm of anger and guilt but he knew he couldn't worry about his families feelings right now. They were the least of his worries as he stormed his way over to her house.

When he thumped her door he thought about all the ways he could explain this and quickly realised he couldn't. Tommy would have to tell her the truth.

"Mr Shelby" her dad greeted as he opened the door, his eyes scanning him with worry.

"Mr Steel" he nodded "Is Rose in?"

Charlie Steel regarding him carefully but not with anger or distrust so he knew that her father wasn't aware of what he had done.

"No, she went to see Chris about an hour ago"

Tommy unconsciously stepped back as his mind went to the dark corners it was familiar with, thoughts of Rose falling back into the arms of Chris Blacksmith.

"You okay lad?" He heard Charlie ask as he began to walk away.

"Not really" he mumbled back before he started to make his way to the Blacksmiths property.

---

Rose wasn't there. Rose wasn't in the pub. Rose wasn't with her friends. Walking through Watery lane he was beginning to lose his mind, dark thoughts taking over as he contemplated his situation.

Had she left with Chris? Was his ghost even real? Was he losing his mind? It all swirled around in his head, making him desperate to smoke.

People on the street avoided him at all costs, scuttling back into their homes and he was grateful for their fear. They wouldn't have to witness his weakness and judge him for it.

Just as he was about to give up he thought about one place she could be and let his feet guide him to her. As soon as he felt the door slip open he knew that she was close.

As he stepped into the factory he allowed his eyes adjust to the bright lights. As he stepped onto the factory floor he heard music playing and knew she was here, the melody was soft and lonely.

Taking off his cap he shoved it into his coat pocket and made his way to her office. Rose had her back to him, she was looking at something he couldn't see but he was instantly relieved to have found her.

Opening the door he watched as she jumped, turning around to reveal her flushed cheeks. Tommy's ghost had been crying.

"What are you doing here?" She seethed as she turned the music off, reached to grab her coat and bag, to get away from him.

"Rose" he started, his tongue suddenly feeling heavy in his head.

Rose brushed by him, her shoulder hitting his as she made her way out of the office, keys jangling in her hands.

As he was about to force her to stop she whirled around on him.

"Why did you do it?" She snapped, her green eyes brimming was angry tears "Why did you have to ruin my life?"

Tommy was so practiced in hiding his emotions that he had to try to look apologetic "I can explain but you need to sit down and let me"

"I'd rather not" she said "Matter of fact I think you should listen to your family and get help"

It stung. It really did but he deserved it after all he had done to her. Even when the harsh words came from her beautiful mouth he knew that this was karma that he should expect.