Chapter 1

Lady Madelaine Austria

Crickets are sure quite noisy tonight. The thick curtains sway when the cold air enters from the window of our living room. A glimpse of the bright moon touches my heart as I felt the warm tea in my throat when I sip my favorite drink.

The dim light from the chandelier that covers the area has set the mood to a serene, helping my stiff cheeks to be compose.

It was almost perfect. After filling my stomach with our steak dinner, this was the best time to finish the book that I was interestingly reading. With the savoring aroma of tea, it shall relax my nerves.

However, a different case occurs.

"You are going to be married."

I accidentally burned my tongue when Count Dean Austria, my father suddenly announced a deafening proposal that was said to be the good news. He was sitting across to me; his hostile expression did never batter. And perhaps, I inherited my scoreless eyes from him.

Just as the day that I was born, he once loved me. So, I shall do the same. He's wearing a black suit that he bought from a famous clothing store, I'm sure it cost quite a fortune. Meanwhile, my ankles were already aching from wearing these old heels since morning.

Tired of keeping my face straight but I'm still hoping that he will change his mind after a few seconds. If I try to consider, marriage was the best option to escape from this family even though it's a political one. So, I should calm down and look at the brighter side. Maybe this is indeed, good news.

On the elegant red single sofa, sitting with my chest out that shall have no trace of slouch will be found. Despite of the tight corset I'm wearing, I gathered all of my courage to meet his gaze and ask a question that I should have think twice.

"With whom, father?"

Once again, he quietly sips from his teacup and I saw how his fingertips slightly tremble. Beside him was my stepmother, Countess Lisha Austria. Her graceful dress is a new released from a well-known designer of the Claintery Empire. I see, it must be expensive.

She hugged his arm and cried helplessly in his shoulder. What kind of a farce are they showing to me?

"Oh darling, I don't want to send away our daughter."

Our daughter you say?

"Hush now Darling, the decision has been made," as my father console her, my eyebrows furrowed.

I don't understand what is happening. Why is she wasting her precious tears to shed for a mere daughter like me that have no worth in her eyes? As far as I'm concern, this stepmother of mine will never cry for me unless it is for my half-sister.

She only cares for Alliyah. I mean why not? She is the proof of their so-called love. I stared at them, wishing that I would know the name of my husband soon.

"He was the talk of the town now," my father hinted turning around to me while caressing the back of his wife.

I tilt my head, implying not to go around the bush. Was he's name so sacred to speak of that I should try to guess? Hmm.

He sighed.

"Countless times lead the war in victory. His name was Grand Duke Alcide Cajarte. If you marry him, I'm sure you will live your life pleasurably."

My eyes widen, being taken aback. My stepmother weeps that seems to have no limits became louder as the mention of the name of my marriage partner. What's this? I should be the one who's crying right now.

I get it, she must be so happy that I will be no longer here. If not, she'll pretend to look weak so that I will pity her. My hands gripped tightly to the mug and I can feel its hotness that I ignored.