Chapter 11

"The timing was off. We should not impose raising tax for now," I paused as I look my stiff reflection on the mirror. I shook my head. "No, that was too feeble."

I was in the middle of applying what I learned from my mentor. Such as, how should I talk with full of authority. Particularly with my status being higher than them, I should know how to convince those malicious fools.

Making them comply with my intimidating words, definitely I'm going to make them stop whatever they're scheming for this city. I practice already for a million times, yet couldn't still grasp the confidence. I'll repeat myself as I stutter.

A knock disturbed me. "Madam, they are waiting for your presence in the meeting room."

"Alright, I will be there in a minute." For the last time, I exhaled my nervousness and assured myself that it will be successful. I recap my future plans inside my head before I smiled in the mirror. But then, it turned out to be creepy. So, I revert into a blank face.

A servant escorted me into the room where I can meet the guests. It's such an elegant area for gathering. They also opened the curtains and windows when they clean the place, now it was less suffocating as I face these nobles.

"Greetings Grand Duchess. It is such an honor to serve you."

"Very well. Let's start the discussion gentlemen."

The sound of the pouring coffee by the young butler was a signal for them to start opening their mouths. Aroma filled the air as the steam of hot drink evaporate. Pastel confections on the table made its purpose as a beautiful decoration.

Three men sitting across to me, drinking their cups. As what Jackson pertains, might be these guys are the one who plots for the sudden issue. I was expecting, plenty of them will rush here in the manor with my sudden notice. But I guess, that they're not afraid of me enough to defy my existence. I reprimand myself; they should not be tolerated.

"I don't want to be rude Madam, but if we can't collect tax then, we won't be able to help the poor."

"Viscount Mukbang Tayo, it is?" He wears a black mad hatter hat that match his tux attire with a rod on his hands.

"Yes, Her Excellency."

"Your point was not bad. However," I sip from my coffee and placed it back to its saucer. "The people have nothing to give."

They begin to murmured with each other as I continue to drink what was served on the table. Their voices have reach into my ears that I guess they intended to, didn't even bother to filter their words in front of me.

"Lord Mukbang. We should not bother listening to her. Afterall, she's just young. What does she know about this matter anyway?"

A man with a long white beard beside the Viscount, I can feel his presence with his quite negative intention to this society.

"Right. She might won't stay for too long here. We can still go with the flow as what we have planned."

When I glance up at the other person sitting down to the opposite side, his reaction shows no guilt. Even with all the sweets in front of me, I can smell his bitterness from here.

I chuckled. Holding tightly the handle of the mug, constraining my irritation for these men. "Are you mocking me right now? Perhaps, you took me for a fool."

They froze as I glare at them, meeting their eyes forwardly. "As you know. If Alcide will know about this, he might just not let you off."

Lips that started to become pale and their wrinkled hands tremble as they heard a sacred name. The person who is more frightening than the calamity. I'm glad that I listened to Jackson's advice. "Be grateful for I'm letting you stay as the lord of Persian, Viscount Mukbang. But with that attitude of yours, I might just let Alcide kill you."