Chapter 27

Grand Duke Alcide Cajarte

There was a time that I ask something odd that I've never done to my entire life.

"What would make a lady happy?" I questioned Jackson out of nowhere while playing the quill around my fingers.

Around eight o' cock in the evening, my wife was fast asleep on our bed. Sleeping peaceful while I'm stuck with this old man, serving me a hot coffee on my desk as I slack with my job. Jackson stayed with me in my office, standing firm beside me. So, I decide to inquire him for an advice. With that, he would not be bored watching me sign the papers.

"You're talking about the Grand Duchess, right?"

"Who else is my woman apart from her?" I sigh and continue my work. "She doesn't seem like fond of jewelries."

I was pertaining to the gifts the last time I bought for her after the war with Ivium. "Nor flowers."

Certainly, she was allergic to it. What can I offer more to her? Just to make her feel at ease. To let her know that her presence, being here in the manor is appreciated. That I want to prove myself that I'm not going to hurt her so, she can stay with me forever.

"Is because the Grand Duke has changed."

"I don't understand such words. Care to elaborate it?"

He coughed before giving me an answer that was clearer than the water. "You know well, Your Excellency. Before she came here, you spend time fooling around in the brothel."

I averted my eyes and unknowingly scratch the back of my neck. "That's funny."

We chuckled with each other as we recall together my past however, my mood instantly dropped and throwed him a death glare. "Don't tell her that."

It's a fact that every woman in the country was terrified of me. But because money do their job well. I can let my steam off with someone randomly if I would just pay them a huge amount.

"Y-yes, of course." He fixed his eyeglass and plastered a smile on his face. "Other than that, your attitude also improved."

"Are you implying that I was mistreating you?"

"Not at all Sire. Rather, you are impatient and aggressive in every small detail. Hot-tempered and without any second thought in taking away one's life. I'm saying that somehow, you've become a tamed beast in front of her."

He has a point though. Before she came in my life and mess the beating of my heart. My blood is always boiling and my veins in my fingers were aching to swing my sword to kill.

She, from a different country can only have the effect of making me tongue-tied with her fierce gazing eyes that turns me into a fool. The only woman that I will listen at and acknowledge.

"Speaking of, Your Excellency. Have you ever considered your marriage with her? You gave her a ring, right?"

I stopped and gawk at him. As if his words strike the most vulnerable part in me. "Ring?"

"Goodness. You're not even aware of it," he said with disappointment in his tone while shaking his head. "Let this old man tell you a secret."

"You?" I scoffed and tried not to burst a laugh. "The last time I took your suggestion, she almost die from rashes."

He avoided his eyes and cleared his throat. "Well, there are unexpected things that are bound to happen."

"Alright, shall I hear it then."

"Your Excellency, I'm sure this time."

"Yes. Yes." I wave my hand in the air, a signal that I understand him and a permission for him to continue with his talk. While, I busy myself writing on the piece of a scroll.