Valentines and White Day

Korean Valentine's Day is nothing like others.

In Korea, Valentine's Day is celebrated in a very unique style. It is the women who present gifts to men. There is a strong tradition of women giving chocolates to men on Valentines Day. There are two types of chocolates, "Giri-choco" (obligation chocolate), and "Honmei-choco". Giri-choco is meant to be for friends, colleagues, bosses, and close male friends. "Giri" means obligation hence this Giri-choco has no romance involved. On the other hand, Honmei-choco is given to a boyfriend, lover, or husband with true love. Japanese women often prepare the Honmei-choco by themselves as many of them think it is not true love if they just buy the ready made chocolate at shops.

Ever since they started dating and got married Lisa had always given her husband her homemade chocolates and Jungkook would always return the favor when it comes to White day. Now that Lisa has a daughter and as Lia got a little older, she wants to get involved too because she also wants to make some for her dear brother and father.

Both mother and daughter bond in the chocolate making process. Lisa was teaching Lia one particular type of chocolate Jungkook would like, not too sweet, the right type of bitterness, and adding a bit of coffee. Her son, Jiseung doesn't mind eating sweets as long as Lisa made them and Jiseung would feel guilty if he doesn't eat the chocolates his mother made for him and now since his sister is participating, he's really obligated to eat both.

Lia watched her mother pour the chocolates into the mold in fascination while licking the chocolate covered ladle. She was excited at the prospect of her father and brother eating chocolates made by her. Out of curiosity, she wonders how it feels like when her mother first gave Honmei-choco to her father back when they were in their teens "Mom, what was it like?"

"What was it dear?"

"What was it like when you first gave dad your homemade choco?"

Lisa laughs softly at the memory at the first time she made some for her first love. "I was scared at first, knowing I had major competition from the other girls but in the end your dad wanted mine and it was a wonderful feeling."

Valentines Day ~20 years ago~

Today, Lisa can finally give her first boyfriend and long time crush, her homemade chocolates. She felt jittery and happy all at the same time. But there is this huge problem though. The moment she got in the locker room where the boys were at, she was surprised at the mountains of boxes of chocolates given by their huge fanbase. When her eyes landed on her boyfriend, behind him were a large pile of boxes of chocolates and some of them are even expensive ones. Lisa's confidence hit a low.

Insecure, the blonde  girl was about to retreat to hide her gift and thought she'd make her boyfriend a better one but she already spent most of her allowance making giri chocolates to her male friends and a special one for Jungkook. Her plan backfired when Jungkook made eye contact, it made her feet glued to the floor. It made her even more nervous when Jungkook stood up and starts approaching her. Lisa made sure the special box she made for him is hidden securely behind her back.

It was obvious to Jungkook that she was hiding something behind her. As he got close to his apparently shy girlfriend, Jungkook crossed his arms and waited. Her boyfriend was standing in front of her and looked like he was expecting something. Clearly enough he was waiting for her to give him her chocolates. This was also her Boyfriends' first time celebrating Valentines, she could tell that he was excited too, only that Jungkook is good at hiding his feelings with his neutral and stoic demeanor. In a feeble attempt to not give him her embarrassing gift, Lisa plays dumb and greets her boyfriend of almost a year "Umm... hey, Kook"