Chapter 5

It was cool tonight. The stars were always so beautiful; they twinkled in all their glory as it was a new moon. I didn't know what month it was, but I knew it was the beginning of one. There typically weren't any seasons in Suna, so it's hard to tell. I didn't mind, because if there aren't seasons, then I could stay out at night to my heart's content.

I sat up as I heard a soft rustling from an alleyway, my breath hitching ever so slightly. The cat was back, whom I have dubbed Pako. A strange name, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I slowly got up and carefully made my way through town.

The streets were sparsely filled; merchants sold produce and other trinkets on the side. I took a deep breath, this would be my first time doing this. I zeroed in on my target. Grilled chicken on a stick. In a hasty movement, I snatched two sticks of the hot meat, and was gone into the streets.

I exhaled in relief. No one came chasing after me.

I swiftly made my way down the street just in time to hear the vendor let out a disheartening yell.

I laughed slightly as I made my way back to the alleyway where Pako most likely was. I peered down the long alleyway, pulling the skin off the chicken, not knowing if the spices were dangerous to cats, and ate it myself. I took the meat off of the stick and tore a small chunk, placing it on the ground in front of me.

I quickly gulped down my portion, leaving me with the pieces I reserved for Pako. The cat leapt from somewhere and landed softly, slowly stalking up to me. I lightly tossed out some more chicken, trying to get her to come closer.

Pako silently made her way up to me until she was about five feet away. I gently stood back, squeezing myself together to appear smaller. Pako swiftly nipped at the chicken, running up to me and gathering the rest before jumping back and eating her food.

I smiled to myself. In my past life, I was always a cat person. I had a few dogs over the years in my childhood, and I loved them with all my heart, but I always wanted a cat. They were just always so adorable and soft.

There'd be occasional days that I'd volunteer at the adoption center, just so I could handle the cats and play with them a bit as well.

I set down another piece of chicken for Pako, to which she swiftly ran up to me and gulped it down. Although this time she stayed a while. I reached out my hand to pet her, and received a soft hiss as she began grooming herself.

I sighed, and set down another piece of chicken. Contently watching Pako scarf down the food. I set out my hand for her to sniff. She did, before very gingerly rubbing her cheek against my hand. I grinned to myself, as I shredded the rest of the chicken in my hand and holding it out for her to eat, while gently running my hand through her black fur.

She definitely needed a wash.

.

.

.

I found myself at the library. I was sitting at my regular table in the corner, reading a bit on chakra control, and the fundamentals of water ninjutsu. My goal was to help gather water so Reena-san could spend less on the water bill.

I stared at the book in front of me, churning my chakra like water through my body, trying to push it through my hands, but then I noticed something peculiar. What I felt was like a bump in my chakra-network. Like a car hitting a pothole. Then there were spots where my chakra came to a complete stop.

That was definitely not right. I concentrated on the small spots that felt weird. It was on my back and on my right shoulder blade. I knew that I bared a scar there. Was that it?